MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Baffling dual problem
September 22, 2019, 06:24:36 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2019, 06:24:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baffling dual problem  (Read 2160 times)
m32

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2006, 11:18:46 PM »

Hi! I have a cd-rom and a dvdrw on my xp box. Three weeks ago, I had a problem burning cd's and I deleted the upper and lower filters, and all was well. Now, when I try to burn, i get a device not found(0)  error. The weird part is, I can see both devices in device manager, and I can see the data on cd's that have pictures, but a music cd just shows the .cda files. A blank disc gives me the device not found error.
Event log says "RSM cannot manage library CDROM 1. The database is corrupt" How do I fix this?
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 11:27:37 PM »

Hi and Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca

Have you tried to reinsatll your burning software?

Does this happen on both drives? I know you cant burn on the cd-rom but what about seeing the data and music?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 02:56:52 AM »

Hi! Thanks!

Yes, I tried reinstalling burn software, I even tried just using explorer to burn, same thing. Yes, all I see are the .cda files on the dvdrw drive. I even put a paid-for dvd in, and it worked (kinda weird, no access to menus, but it worked)!

The other thing that was suggested was to uninstall the secondary IDE"s which I did, and rebooted. Windows reinstalled them,  all to no avail. Argh!
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 09:03:15 PM »

How old is the drive? Have you tried cleaning the drive with a cd lens cleaner?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 02:53:34 AM »

Yes, I did (after your suggestion  Smiley ) but that doesn't help either. Both the cdrom and the dvd rw do the same thing. The event log says "the device number of a (n) CDROM drive cannot be determined". The same thing happens with both drives. I can see the .cda files, but no music or burning. A DVD will play, and I can see pictures, but that's it.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 12:12:52 AM »

Its kinda strange that deleting the upper and lower filters would work in that issue. Normally this is used when the drivers disappear and you cannot see them in My Computer or Device Manager

Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow   ( sfc if not reconized)    (Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 03:41:46 AM »

Very cool tool. I ran it, it did no ask for the XP cd (which is good, I have a HP and they only have the Restore disk), put a music cd in and all I see are the .cda files. Both drives. I checked out the event viewer, it mentions that the WinDriver service failed because it cannot find the file specified. Does that mean anything?
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 05:33:35 PM »

Can you start the Service? (Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services)

This is the only thing I could find on that service  Roll Eyes
http://www.jungo.com/support/tech_docs/td57.html

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 11:02:06 PM »

It is not, strangely, listed as a service at all! Further poking at the event viewer says that "LF30FS service failed, system cannot find path specified" and "the following boot-start or system-start drivers failed to load (list) IntelIDE, iaStor, ViaIDE."  Just seeing the phrase IDE made me replace the IDE wire with a known-functional one, and the same problems occur. I am bummed mightily and appreciate your time and effort. (In advance)  Smiley
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 01:25:16 PM »

The next step would be to Perform a Repair Installation

Set the computer to boot from cd first in the BIOS
Place the xp cd in cdrom and reboot
Boot from the xp cd and choose install
Ignore the first repair option and continue with install
When windows finds the previous installation and offers to repair then do the repair

If you have xp sp2 installed it needs to be incorporated into your xp disk or it will not offer the repair option only the clean install

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: