MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Looking for Drivers! arrow Topic: Broadcom / Hewlett Packard Wi-Fi 802.11g WLAN driver needed!
November 22, 2019, 06:35:29 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2019, 06:35:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Broadcom / Hewlett Packard Wi-Fi 802.11g WLAN driver needed!  (Read 7429 times)
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2006, 11:08:52 AM »

Broadcom Wi-Fi 802.11g WLAN driver needed!   Shocked

BCMWL5.sys v4.100.15.5 not vulnerable to hacking but anything below 4.100+ is critically flawed!

BCMWL5.SYS file is ONLY available through M*crosoft's Windows Update system!

Hi Guys, I have an HP laptop that has a critical WLAN driver flaw and it is only available as a security update from MS! Strangely neither Broadcom or HP has released a driver update and so I am forced to either disconnect my WLAN or go for the MS windows update service. Now you can understand that I'm not to keen on having MS scan my computer again and again just to tell me that I have the latest drive when in fact I DON"T. I have no expert experience in getting updates and I have been stymied by the lack of availability of the drivers from the hardware suppliers!

Is anyone able to get this 500k file from the MS windows update site and RS it for me?   Kiss

BCMWL5.sys version 4.100.15.5 available from M*crosoft only...

PC Smash
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 11:18:01 AM by rghasenohr » Logged

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 11:13:40 AM »

HP isn't much help!

I tried the Windows automatic update and it said I have the most recent driver. Well that driver is in the numerical three's and not fours. Hmmm?

So through the online chat I contact HP customer support, tell them about the problem, point to the web page and well...you know the story. What is you model number, turn your computer over for the serial number, what problems are you having, etc. etc.
You know the tech person is just reading from their crib sheet and have no idea what I just told them.

The lack of customer tech support is an entire other story indeed.

Broadcom has nothing on its site either.

So I'm stumped on this one...  Sad

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 06:53:58 PM »

Try these links

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=365

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Download_C2&childpagename=US/Layout&cid=1115417109934&packedargs=sku=1144763513196&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 04:48:16 PM »

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS THE FULLY ROLLED BROADCOM DRIVERS, UPDATED WITH THE PROPER v4.100.15.5 BCMWL5.SYS, INF AND CAT SECURITY FILES

EDIT: This update as been re-rolled as of 5:09 P.M. on November 25, 2006 to use v4.0 of the base Broadcom drivers.

Code:
http://mysite.verizon.net/fluidstates/download/bcm43xxa.zip

I am not sure this will work for all OS, ZDx versions and instances.

Jeez, I hope this works. 

Please tell me either way - yes, or no.

Thank you and good luck!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$#%!, the update I rolled worked on my own computer. 

For Windows XP, please use the "mini" download (BCMWL5.zip) in the first post.

However, if you need to use the "full" download:

(A) MAKE A NEW SYSTEM RESTORE POINT, just in case

(B) Download the bcm43xxa.zip update and unZIP the files

(C) run the Setup program.

(D) REBOOT THE COMPUTER.

If you cannot get the wireless card & button to respond go into your Network Connections panel, right-click on the Wireless, Disable it, then re-Enable it again.

It should work, no problems! Then check your Device Manager's report for the Broadcom driver and it should be v4.100.15.5

If you have problems that you can not turn the WiFi back on after turning it off, you MAY have to uninstall ALL Broadcom drivers using the Add / Remove Programs Control Panel first, then reboot. Re-install the WiFi drivers, using the rolled package, afterwards in order to get the driver to properly react to the WiFi power button activations.

Cheesy

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 12:31:52 AM »

Where'd you find the drivers?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 05:33:51 PM »