MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: many problems
November 22, 2019, 06:58:33 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2019, 06:58:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: many problems  (Read 888 times)
musicfreak

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2006, 08:09:57 AM »

Hi,
I have inheirited my Grandma's computer.  It is XP Professional.  I'm having several problems and I was hoping anyone could help.

1) How do I delete her user account and get one set up for myself?  When I go to Control and User Accounts all there is is a Back, Forward and Home button.  When I click on them nothing happens.
2)  When I try to use the Search feature at the start up menu to look for programs and files etc. it opens up into an Internet Explorer type page.  I'm not able to search for files etc.
3)  When I click on Help and Support at the Start Up menu nothing happens.
4)  When I use Internet Explorer and go to Edit and Find (On This Page) it doesn't work.  The box opens up but Find Next is greyed out or disabled making it so I can't use this function.
5)  When I click on headings on certain websites nothing happens and instead of the website address in the tool bar at the bottom of IE I get something that mentions Javascript.  For instance when I went to click on a 'sign in' button I got Javascript:goLink(document.Signin.menu.).  I get this same type of error when I click on Locate us, Contact us, Site Map etc.  And also I can't select from the drop down menus. 
6)  When I click on System Restore nothing happens.
7)  You may not know this but who knows maybe it's related to the above.  When I'm in Outlook Express or Internet Explorer I can't print anything.  I click on the printer icon and nothing happens.....but yet I can print from Adobe.
Cool  Can I switch my name as the owner of XP.  It's just kind of wierd to keep seeing my Grandma's name when she is gone.  There are other areas where I see her name but maybe when I am able to log on as myself that will change.

I guess some if this files are corrupted or something.  I don't know if Spyware could be doing anything?  I've lost the Search option so I can't look for anything.  I really don't know where to start.  I've used Win98 since 1999 but still consider myself a newbie so I need things explained step by step if you don't mind.  And I don't want to lose any of my Grandma's documents she's saved......until I delete later what I don't want... so that is important.  Also I want to keep her emails for now.
Looks like she did no maintenance on her computer so I have to do that.

OK, point #8 is the smiley face.  I don't know how I put it there and can't get it out!!!

So can anyone tell me what I should do? 

Thanks so much if anyone can help.

Cheryl
musicfreak

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 06:38:32 PM »

I've fixed all problems.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 12:33:56 AM »

Good to hear you resolved your issues  Grin

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 01:06:06 AM »

I didn't know what to do so went to pcpitstop.com .  They test your computer.  As soon as I logged on they said I didn't have any scripts enabled (or something like that) and couldn't use their system.  Anyway they told me how to fix it.  I had to download I think Javascript from the Microsoft website.  After I did that everything was fine.  Small fix for so many issues!
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 03:14:43 AM »

Yes surprising what a little setting or update will do for a computer     Cheesy

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: