MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: hijackthis log - just need to know if it is clean - had themida embedded virus
November 22, 2019, 06:59:45 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2019, 06:59:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hijackthis log - just need to know if it is clean - had themida embedded virus  (Read 1121 times)
ArtSluver

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2006, 05:05:16 AM »

Hi,

I usually run a pretty tight ship and don't usually come across any problems as I scan everything before I open it.

However, I seem to have gotten infected with something. Yikes!

I run Zonealarm free and Symantec Corporate all the time, and they usually protect me from everything. I also run weekly scans with Spybot and Ad-aware.

Today I downloaded a file, scanned it and it came out clean. Then when I went to install it I got this Themida Logo screen, and something to do with scvhost. Well needless to say it got my antennae going, as it should be svchost and not scvhost.

Whatever the heck it is it has tried to access the internet, thankfully Zonealarm popped up to let me know it was trying to do so. Of course I didn't allow it to access the internet.

I scanned the whole machine with Symantec Corporate, with all the latest definitions - results were clean.

I scanned the whole machine Ad-aware with all the latest definitions - results were clean.

I scanned the system with Spybot with all the latest definitions - results were funny, there was a Smitfraud alert so I did the removal.

Once I restarted the machine a little box came up with something about personal setting and scvhost, and this logo came up from Themida and www.oreans.com I of course stopped all the accesses that were trying to be made to the internet, thank goodness for ZA. Then I went and permanently blocked all the instances of scvhost in Zonealarm.

I reran Spybot and the Smitfraud stuff was still there.

It appears that Themida might be a rootkit, and the virus is packed into it to avoid detection and deletion. After 20 minutes a little box comes up and says that as this is a demo version of Themida it only runs for 20 minutes.

I ran CCleaner.

I ran Counterspy in safe mode and it found several nasties, I can post the log if you want it.

I came out of safemode and ran Hijackthis and I have the log below. It did throw up a warning when I first ran it saying that something was wrong. Posted log below.

Funny enough once I came out of safe mode all my usual programs did not run, no zonealarm, no symantec, so I had to restart them.

I am not sure if my system is now clean or not, one weird thing is that explorer no longer shuts down when I turn off the pc, I have to shut it down manually form the warning box.

I also ran rootkitrevealer and have the log available as well.

I guess I need to know if this machine is now clean, or do I need to reformat.

Thank you!

It is great that these Themida people have created a demo for people to pack virus' into, pain in the rear.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:58:31 PM, on 12/2/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alex Feinman\ISO Recorder\ImapiHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\sunThreatEngine.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\SunProtectionServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\sunserver.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KhalShared\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Stark66\My Documents\Junkdownloaded\Software\hijackthis\somethingelse.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunServer] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\sunserver.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SetDefaultMIDI] MIDIDef.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1152074051234
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\system32\NavLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: Imapi Helper - Alex Feinman - C:\Program Files\Alex Feinman\ISO Recorder\ImapiHelper.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: StarWind iSCSI Service (StarWindService) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 09:05:18 PM »

I dont see anything in your log so.....

Download and install AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5
(This is Ewido 4.0 renamed. If you already have Ewido installed, please update to AVG Anti-Spyware which has a special "clean driver" for removing persistent malware)
1. After download, double click on the file to launch the install process.
2. Choose a language, click "OK" and then click "Next".
3. Read the "License Agreement" and click "I Agree".
4. Accept default installation path: C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5, click "Next", then click "Install".
5. After setup completes, click "Finish" to start the program automatically or launch AVG Anti-Spyware by double-clicking its icon on your desktop or in the system tray.
6. The main "Status" menu will appear. Select "Change state" to inactivate 'Resident Shield' and 'Automatic Updates'.
7. Then right click on AVG Anti-Spyware in the system tray and uncheck "Start with Windows".
8. Go to Start > Run and type: services.msc
  • Press "OK".
  • Click the "Extended tab" and scroll down the list to find AVG Anti-Spyware guard.
  • When you find the guard service, double-click on it.
  • In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Stop" button.
  • From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", click on "Manual".
  • Now click "Apply", then "OK" and close the Services window.
9. Select the "Update" button and click "Start update". Wait until you see the "Update succesfull message. If you are having problems with the updater, manually update with the AVG Anti-Spyware Full database installer from here.
 Exit AVG Anti-Spyware when done - DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in "SAFE MODE" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup [but before the Windows icon appears] press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with AVG Anti-Spyware as follows:
1. Launch AVG Anti-Spyware, click on the "Scanner" button and choose the "Settings" tab.
  • Under "How to act?", click on "Recommended actions" and choose "Quarantine" to set default action for detected malware.
  • Under "How to Scan?", "Possibly unwanted software", and What to Scan?" leave all the default settings.
  • Under "Reports" select "Automatically generate report after every scan" and UNcheck "Only if threats were found".
2. Click the "Scan" tab to return to scanning options.
3. Click "Complete System Scan" to start.
4. When the scan has finished you will be presented with a list of infected objects found. Click "Apply all actions" to place the files in Quarantine.

IMPORTANT! Do not save the report before you have clicked the Apply all actions button. If you do, the log that is created will indicate "No action taken", making it more difficult to interpret the report. So be sure you save it only AFTER clicking the "Apply all actions" button?

5. Click on "Save Report" to view all completed scans. Click on the most recent scan you just performed and select "Save report as" - the default file name will be in date/time format as follows: Report-Scan-20060620-142816.txt. Save to your desktop. A copy of each report will also be saved in C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\Reports\
6. Exit AVG Anti-Spyware when done, reboot normally and submit the log report in your next response.

==========================

Download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri) to your Desktop.
http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix.zip
Extract all the files to your Destop. A folder named SmitfraudFix will be created on your Desktop.

Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd

Reboot your computer in Safe Mode.
If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power.
Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
Ensure that the Safe Mode option is selected.
Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
Login on your usual account.

Open the SmitfraudFix Folder, then double-click smitfraudfix.cmd file to start the tool.
Select option #2 - Clean by typing 2 and press Enter.
Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.
You will be prompted : "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry ?" answer Yes by typing Y and hit Enter  in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection

The tool will also check if wininet.dll is infected. If a clean version is found, you will be prompted to replace wininet.dll. Answer Yes to the question "Replace infected file ?" by typing Y and hit Enter.

A reboot may be needed to finish the cleaning process, if your computer does not restart automatically please do it yourself manually.

The tool will create a log named rapport.txt in the root of your drive, eg: Local Disk C: or partition where your operating system is installed. Please post that log along with all others requested in your next reply.

Please post:
c:\rapport.txt
AVG log
A new HijackThis log
Your may need several replies to post the requested logs, otherwise they might get cut off

An Australian Member of

EDDY
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: