MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Computer Shutting off
August 21, 2019, 02:46:04 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2019, 02:46:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Computer Shutting off  (Read 1954 times)
DocNT

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2006, 06:30:05 PM »

I've got a feeling I have an over heating problem (possibly the processor). My Dell GX260 keeps shutting down after a time. It may be 5 minutes. It may be 25 minutes. I thought originally it was a PWR Supply. But I have replaced that and still have the same problem. I can't do much tracking on it because I was reinstalling the HDD (I've replaced that as well) and now it is part way into the installation of XP. So basically I have no logs to go back and check for other issues. It seems to be running fine performing the install and then just shuts down. No error message at all. The power light stays on also and you can't turn it off unless you unplug the power cable. I will check the processor fan this evening to see if it is still functioning. Does anyone have any other guesses other than the processor?

Any way to check for other hardware problems other than trial and error? Any help would be appreciated

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 06:55:06 PM »

When you changed all the hardware did you take a look at your CPU and fan? Did you notice any dust on it? You may want to shut down and clean out your CPU fan and heatsink before continuing.

Jord.
DocNT

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 06:58:00 PM »

When you changed all the hardware did you take a look at your CPU and fan? Did you notice any dust on it? You may want to shut down and clean out your CPU fan and heatsink before continuing.

Have you ever seen a CPU fan that doesn't have dust on it? ...LOL.... Seriously I will blow it all out this evening and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 07:23:03 PM »

My CPU fan was without dust for a whole 2 weeks... looked as new. So yes, I have seen one without dust on it. Wink

The heatsink was a bit more troublesome, until I saw you can take the whole contraption apart to clean it slightly easier. That is, if you have a P4 contra... um CPU.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 07:25:15 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
DocNT

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 02:08:11 AM »

There is no direct CPU fan. There is a fan right by the processor to exhaust the box. It is running fine. The heat sink on top of the processor is pretty dang clean and free of dust. Now there is a boot problem. I hate to purchase a new processor and find out that isn't the issue. Short of trial and error I can't think of any other way to troubleshoot this. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 05:50:54 PM by DocNT » Logged

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 12:23:27 PM »

I'm trying to remember how the Optiplex GX260 looked like on the inside. I've only installed about 25 of them as telephone servers about two years ago and I'm sure you're right that the CPU only had a heat sink. Yet, when that one is clear and specless... the only other thing that can make your computer go hang without warning is memory.

Download Memtest86+. It doesn't need an operating system, it can be  run from a boot floppy or boot CD. Test your memory with it. Do long runs.

You can also run Prime 95 torture test, but it needs Windows installed.

Jord.
DocNT

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 12:30:25 PM »

I ran Memtest. It made it though 3 passes and ran for approximately 45 minutes. Then teh computer shut down. No errors were reported though. After it shut down I rebooted and received a "error" message that said the computer last shut down due to a thermal event. No other information was provided. So I guess I am back to square one.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 03:40:26 PM »

When you got this machine, did you have to put on the CPU by yourself, or was it pre-installed? I wonder if there is any thermal paste between the CPU and the heat sink. If there isn't, the heat from the CPU can't get away into the HS and be sucked out by the case fan. It builds up in the CPU until that one shuts down.

Do you still have warranty on it?
If you don't and you feel like you are able to take it apart, check if there's thermal grease between the CPU and heat sink. If there isn't, go to a computer store and buy some Arctic Silver, or something similar and use that to smear between the CPU's topside and HS underside.

Jord.
DocNT

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 04:08:10 PM »

When you got this machine, did you have to put on the CPU by yourself, or was it pre-installed? I wonder if there is any thermal paste between the CPU and the heat sink. If there isn't, the heat from the CPU can't get away into the HS and be sucked out by the case fan. It builds up in the CPU until that one shuts down.

Do you still have warranty on it?
If you don't and you feel like you are able to take it apart, check if there's thermal grease between the CPU and heat sink. If there isn't, go to a computer store and buy some Arctic Silver, or something similar and use that to smear between the CPU's topside and HS underside.

The processor was installed by Dell (Intel 2.8GHz). I already looked and there is thermal paste between the HS and the processor. Warranty expired about a month ago. (lucky me) I can't think of any utility that can run in DOS mode that will do some logging to see what hardware is causing the shut down.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 05:47:45 PM »

I'll dig around a little and come back to you.

Jord.
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 12:38:23 PM »

I have dug around a little and can't find anything either that actually logs CPU temperatures while it works in DOS. I'll forward this one to another person, see what he makes of it.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: