MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Having hard drive problems. pls help!!
October 16, 2019, 11:19:12 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2019, 11:19:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Having hard drive problems. pls help!!  (Read 2147 times)
DJchad24

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2006, 07:59:18 AM »

Hi there everyone,

Say I'm currently having hard drive problems where I've lost the Table of Content of the hard drive, then I got it back again but when I go about to reformate it with windows xp pro and everything is all done.. The shut off computer icon is g*yed "disabled" I want to know is why does this happen and what does this mean?

other tech support people that I know in my area said that I might need a new hard drive do you guys think that this is the case???

Please holla back!!
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 04:43:59 PM »

OK,

So you lost your table of contents and got them back. How? Magically? (Wink)
You then reformatted. Did you also use fdisk to repartition the drive?
And upon installing Windows XP you can't shut down, as your Shut Down option is greyed out?

A work around to the latter problem is to make a shortcut on the desktop to C:\Windows\ System32\Shutdown.exe .. will that program shut down your Windows?

As for your hard drive, I'd be on the look out for a replacement disk. If it has lost its tables once, it'll do it again.

Jord.
DJchad24

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 06:43:14 PM »

Ageless;

Now with a couple of programs that I've found? they are PTDD Partition Table Doctor 3.0 & EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional 3.0 <this one is the one that I used to try to fix it and to recover the problem...

Yes, Fdisk for some odd reason didn't want to work correctly so I used Norton PartitionMagic 8.0 which did the job correctly.

No, that's after the installing windows xp you know where you can fully customize & install your software?

So what your saying is I should invest into a new hard drive then? and deep 6 the one that has the table corrupted..

Right???
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 07:06:05 PM »

I'd do it and keep this drive as one which I wouldn't use for things I really need to keep.

Jord.
DJchad24

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 08:30:44 PM »

Ageless;

Okay thanks, Do you really think that by loosing the table on the hard drive that it has done any damage on the motherboard or anything else? Or just the hard drive?
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 09:06:29 PM »

No, the motherboard should be fine.

When a hard drive loses data, or its file allocation table or anything else, it's usually due to a (pending) fault with the hard drive. Maybe that its read/write heads are going broke, or it got a power jolt or maybe it's an act of God. Or the Devil.

I'd call losing the complete table a big error. And when big errors start happening with your hardware, you replace that hardware.

Jord.
DJchad24

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 09:40:32 PM »

Ageless;

Yea that's what I thought... Thanks, you've been very helpful?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Say do you know anything about sound cards, where it humms while listing to music in the "Line-In" jack? if so, how in god's name can this be removed where there is no "feedback or humming" in this jack? I'm using this Jack to listen to audio from my Satelight Resever... I've tryed almost everything..

Can you by any chance help me out with this??

Thanks
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 12:22:33 AM »

Not for anything, but it's a satellite receiver.

You've got your satellite receiver plugged in to your line-in jack and speakers or a head-phone in your line-out jack, right? Is this a physical card (one stuck in a PCI slot) or is it embedded in the motherboard (a chip)?

What kind of plug do you use? Metal or gold? (I ask this as a gold one, although more expensive, is the better one)
Where is your receiver positioned? If right next to your PC, try to move it away as it could get interference from the PC or the monitors or even your speakers.
If it's further away from your PC, with a long cable in between, shorten the cable. If it's lying around in loops and hoops, it catches extra radiowaves.

What make and model sound card (or chip) is it? You can use dxdiag to find that out. (Start->Run, type dxdiag, hit Enter. In the window that opens, go to the sound tab.

These are the couple of ideas I come up with for now. Smiley

Jord.
DJchad24

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 01:12:40 AM »

Ageless;

Yes my sound card is a Creative Augidy 2 ZE Platinum with front bay.. Yes, that is correct.. the plug is metal with a "Y" splitter you know where you can plug 2 plugs into 1 jack..  I've tryed placing the speakers at a good distance away from the monitor & the computer, same thing? the cable it's self has to be very long because of where the TV is located..

Sound Card (PCI) information:

name: SB Audigy Audio [B400]
Device ID: PCI/VEN_1102DEV_0004SUBSYS_10021102REV_0
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM

Drivers:

Name: ctaud2k.sys
version: 5.12.0001.0283 (English)
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Direct X Features:

it's set to FULL Acceleration hardware sound level..

Is there anything else that you would like to know???

I'm also a rookie when it comes to this part of computers...
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 10:26:10 AM »

the plug is metal with a "Y" splitter you know where you can plug 2 plugs into 1 jack..
The splitter could be the problem. Can you test connecting the satellite receiver directly?

Jord.
DJchad24

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 10:32:39 AM »

Ageless;

I forgot, I can't because the speakers are already using 2 jacks so the only ones that are left on the card is the input jack and of course the mic jack as well..
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 10:34:15 AM by DJchad24 » Logged
DJchad24

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 10:35:50 AM »

Ageless;

I'm running out of options, I don't know on what else to do besides on maybe buying another sound card.. do you think that would fix the problem?
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 12:27:18 PM »

Um... Let's see. You've got a total of 17 connections all together, but you need to use two for the speakers? Those 17 connections are the ones counted on the card itself and on the front bay. (Source)

The speakers only need one connection, namely the Line level out (Front / Side / Rear / Center / Subwoofer) on the audio card itself. So use the splitter for the speakers, if your speakers both come with a line out jack. (You are sure you don't need to plug one of the speakers in on the other?)

Jord.
DJchad24

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 04:33:54 PM »

Ageless;

Yes that's correct,

Yea I'm sure about it? because I've tryed plugging it into another jack and there was no sound coming from them at all until I plugged them back into tthe correct jacks....

I've looked at the instructions on it to make sure..

The speakers it's self goes into Line out Jacks 1,2 Front & rear...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: