MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Can't Recognise 2nd HD!!!
October 16, 2019, 12:37:52 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2019, 12:37:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't Recognise 2nd HD!!!  (Read 1173 times)
PipsQueek

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2003, 11:08:41 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win 98 SE
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hey....heres the deal....i have my primart HD taken care of because i recently formatted.  then i was given an additional HD so i decided to throw it in, now the BIOS recognises the new HD and so does my device manager but when i go into my computer there is only my one HD.....what can i do to get the second one to work aswell??  

i tried to get rid of any partitions on the new HD and format it with Fdisk but it didn't find the new HD...only the old one....HELP!!!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 12:52:11 AM »

Hi,

You probably don't have the master/slave jumpers (small black plastic caps) set correctly on the drive and/or the BIOS information for the drive (cyl/sec/hd) is incorrect.

Does your BIOS auto-detect both drives?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
PipsQueek

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 07:21:38 PM »

I will check my jumpers on the new HD again to make sure its set to slave but im almost positive that it is.....my BIOS has auto-detected it and has the right cycles and stuff it just won't recognise it in windows....GRRRR....should i get partition magic and remove any partitions on the new HD then reformat it? i dunno what else to try....your help is appreciated thanks.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 07:28:50 PM »

Hi,

If the hard drive is properly configured at a hardware level, then try booting to MS-DOS mode, run fdisk, select option 5 to change drive, select drive 2. Then select option 4 to view the partition information. What is there?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
PipsQueek

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 11:46:44 PM »

hi, i did what you said and got the new HD working....BUT, now windows sees it and it has a drive letter except when i try to copy info to it...it says i don't have enough space. so i formatted it in windows and got the same result. then i tried to format it in dos....no luck.....does it have something to do with my primary HD being FAT32 and my slave HD being just FAT??  

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 07:02:12 AM »

format it through fdisk and set it up through fdisk

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 02:41:59 PM »

Hi,

What happened when you formatted from DOS?

Win98 support both FAT and FAT32 file systems.

If this drive was in another system and partitioned using different BIOS drive settings (cyl/hd/sec) then what your BIOS auto-detected, then the system would have problems accessing the drive.

I would remove the partition on the second drive and recreate it since it may be messed up. I assume there is no data worth keeping on this drive, right? The following steps will wipe the drive!

1. Shutdown to MS-DOS mode and run fdisk, select YES for large disk support (FAT32)
2. Select option 5 to change to drive 2
3. Use option 3 to remove the partition (remove logical drive then extended or primary partition)
4. Use option 1 to create the partition and logical drive.
5. Exit fdisk and reboot
6. Once back in Windows, use Windows Explorer
7. Double click the drive, you should get an access error message.
8. Now that you know you're using the right drive, right click it and select format
9. Do a full format
10. Reboot to get Windows out of Compability Mode

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: