MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: I think it is dead...
August 23, 2019, 06:51:03 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2019, 06:51:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I think it is dead...  (Read 868 times)
wgill3

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2003, 03:37:52 PM »

Abit KG7 MB
Win 2K
AMD 1.4 T-Bird

Okay, heres what I have.  

My computer just quit on me last night.  It was running fine and I had to install a couple of programs and had to reboot 4 times last night.  After the fourth time, it will not POST.  However, in the past, the system would never 'recognize' RESTART.  When I would want to restart, I would have to press the reset button(this hasn't always been the case).  Now it does not POST and sometimes when I press the reset button, the drives spin and then the system shuts down(powers off)  Other times when I would press the reset button, nothing happens, no drive spinning, etc.

So short of the skinny is...
1.  Computer used to take the windows 'Restart' command.  Now I have to press the reset button for this to happen.
2.  Computer now does not POST.  Fans spin, drives spin, etc.  NO Beep!
3.  All chips and cards are well seated.
4.  All devices except for HD is being used, i.e no CD-Roms, no Sound card being used right now.  

Noteable odd behavior- When the computer is off(not running) and I power it on it sounds like it will go but NO POST.  It just sits there.  If I press the reset button, a few seconds after, the systems shuts down(not running)

Another odd behavior- If I turn the system off at the back on the power supply and then turn it on, it will power up and then shut down automatically after about 5 seconds.

Let me know what you think.
Is it a bad PS (I pray)?
Is it a bad MB (I pray not)?
Is it bad RAM (GAWD no)?
Is it an ID-10-T error?  Smiley (just kidding)

Thanks in advance.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 04:12:11 PM »

Hi,

This problem could be caused by any of the hardware you mentioned and is difficult to troubleshoot without spare parts.

If you have more than one memory modules, you can try using one at a time, to rule out bad memory. This is assuming your memory modules don't need to be paired up.

If all ribbon cables at the motherboard end are disconnected and the system will not stay powered up, I would first try a new power supply and then look at the motherboard/CPU/memory if the problem was not it. Make sure you can return the power supply to the vendor if it doesn't solve your problem.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: