MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: XP double installation.
November 17, 2019, 03:31:10 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2019, 03:31:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: XP double installation.  (Read 1600 times)
Marc22

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2003, 05:12:35 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Dear people,

Sorry for my bad English, but the Netherlands are far away Smiley.

My XP didn't worked well, so I re-installed it.
I have 1 harddisk so the second installation was counted by my first one and make my disk quite full.
What I wanted is to connect the old files (Word, Outlook, etc.) with the programms and the new files of my second installation, while they moving parallel to my second installation. I installed the programms who works with the old files so that's not the problem. What can I do to do that?
Embarrassed

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2003, 08:40:31 PM »

Marc22 added:
quote:
Dear people again,

How can I remove all the double files (programms, more important) from my computer. It has to do with the earlier question I put in your forum regarding the two installations of XP.
Smiley

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2003, 08:48:04 PM »

Hi,

I'm not quite sure I follow!

You have installed WinXP in 2 different folders. Are you trying to access files belonging to the first WinXP installation and receiving "Access is Denied" from within the second installation of WinXP or something similar?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Marc22

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2003, 12:42:39 PM »

Hi administrator,

I don't have any error messages, but I can't get my old files with my second installation. I installed all the old programms from my first installation on the computer, but only the new made files (Outlook Express, Word, etc., the computer is recognizing, not the old files. I hope I am getting the point now. There are many links who are dissepeared.

Another question: how can I remove the first installation. It takes alot of space!

THX!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2003, 01:18:05 PM »

Hi,

By default, WinXP keeps your documents, outlook's mailbox, files... in "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME".

Where USERNAME" is your account name.

If you re-install WinXP into another folder, like you did, and recreate the same account, WinXP may overwrite this folder which would remove all files that were there. Take a look at "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME" to see if you can find your old files just in case WinXP did not overwrite but create another folder instead.

Is the old installation of WinXP not working?

Once you have found your files (if still exists), I will help you remove the old copy of WinXP.

Sylvain Amyot

Marc22

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2003, 03:04:47 PM »

Hi,

I found every old file and I did put the files in the right map. I thank you for that!
I don't know if the first installation is working. I don't think so. course I had a connection with my old files.
Can you help me to remove the first installation? So I can make some free space? I think it is there somewhere while alot of GB's extra filled on the harddisk, out of the blue?
Marc

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2003, 03:10:29 PM »

Hi,

First I need to know what is in the c:\boot.ini file, can you copy and paste the contents of this file into your reply?

Sylvain Amyot

Marc22

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2003, 04:29:05 PM »

Afternoon Ad,

This the complete code I found out after worked out your "mission"!

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Windows Setup"

I hope this will do it...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: