MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Dual Boot w/Vista & XP
April 03, 2020, 06:56:46 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 03, 2020, 06:56:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dual Boot w/Vista & XP  (Read 789 times)
VinnieD711

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2007, 12:10:15 AM »

Hello. Here are my system specs:
OS: Windows XP Professional, (5.1, Build 2600) w/Media Center Edition 2002, SP2
CPU: 2 Intel Core-Duo Cpu's (6,300 @ 1.86 GHz each)
RAM: 1 GB
Disc Drive: SONY CRX310S 48X H/H SATA COMBO
Hard Drive: 230 GB
Video: GeForce 7900 GS, 256 MB
DirectX: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) 1,022 MB RAM
Sound: SB X-Fi Audio [CCE0], Version 5.12.0001.1114 (ctaud2k.sys)
Input: Basic Dell USB Keyboard w/ Microsoft 5.1.2600.2825 driver, Standard Optical Dell USB mouse w/ Microsoft 5.1.2600.0 driver

Here is what I want to do:
I have XP installed with all of my files on the drive that came with the computer (Seagate ST3250820AS, 250G) and it is crucial that it stay as is. I bought a new hard drive (Seagate ST3320620AS, 320G) that I want to install Vista on. Vista, however, is an "Express Upgrade" which relies on an already existing and installed OS. I installed the XP that came with my computer onto the new hard drive. Both hard drives are installed on the computer, though only one is recognized in System Startup (see the thread http://www.mytechsupport.ca/component/option,com_forums/Itemid,42/topic,11638.0 for more details). I want to install Vista ONLY on the new hard drive and be able to employ a dual-boot configuration. According to Microsoft website (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529), the older OS must be installed first, which is what I did.
There are 2 CD's that came with the Vista upgrade (from Dell)- the first is called an Upgrade Assistant and should be installed first. I have installed this disk already on the second hard drive (320G) that I want to put Vista on. The original drive is on SATA-0 and the new one is on SATA-1. When I start up the computer, it will only load up the C: drive, the one I want to leave alone. Can I or should I load Vista onto the second drive from the first one? I cannot get the second drive to showup in the Boot Sequence, although it registers in Drives, as well as in the Device Manager within XP.
Note: I had originally removed the orig. drive and installed XP+Vista on the new drive, but couldn't get BIOS to recognize the second drive. So strictly from a software perspective, if I can't get the second drive to register and don't want to install Vista on the first drive & can't lose any data from the first drive, is what I asked above safe, or can I unplug the first drive, forct the comp to boot to second drive, install vista on second drive, and then shut down and plug the first drive back in?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: