MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Portable Devices arrow Topic: Strange laptop power problem
April 02, 2020, 10:05:11 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 02, 2020, 10:05:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Strange laptop power problem  (Read 4111 times)
skewedhalo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2007, 01:20:15 AM »

Acer Aspire 3003WLMi
Windows XP Home SP2

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with my parents' laptop.  There are 2 problems which I don't think are related, but I am sure someone will let me know if they think they are!

1)  'Dodgy' power adapter lead:  you sometimes need to wiggle the mains lead at the laptop socket to get the adapter's green light to come on and for the battery to be shown as charging.  I've just bought a replacement from eBay only to find that it doesn't work at all!  Just call me lucky.   Wink  I presume when I manage to buy an adapter that does work then this problem will be rectified.

2)  This is the weird bit...the laptop happily runs off the battery.  If the battery drains it will not run directly from the mains lead.  The battery will have to be recharged before it can be used again.  I have double checked this by removing the battery and plugging the laptop into the mains and it does not work.  What part has failed to be causing this?  Acer are happy for the unit to be sent to them for them to repair it for a large sum of money, but I would like to know exactly what is wrong before I consider this.

Thanks,
Sharon

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 04:47:23 PM »

The connector for the power adapter has alittle pin inside, it is probably loose/broken, hence you having to wiggle it around,  I have seen this in the past. That lead so to speak is soddered to the motherboard. Most times you have to replace the motherboard.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 05:06:10 PM »

Thanks Geekgirl, but I'm not sure that's what I wanted to hear!  Cry

But how come the battery will charge from the mains still?  Surely the dodgy pin would stop that too?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 05:09:00 PM by skewedhalo » Logged

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 05:36:54 PM »

Not neccessarily, you may be getting sporatic/intermitted power to it

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:07:48 AM »

I have to say nothing for I do not know this at all. but you can go to some releated sites to find the solution.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: