MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Comp Not Starting Properly
April 03, 2020, 07:50:18 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 03, 2020, 07:50:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Comp Not Starting Properly  (Read 1998 times)
lux86

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2007, 02:06:46 AM »

He All. Im in need for some bad help. or good help.ill take whatever i can get i guess lol.
anyway i got this computer that im nearly to the point of burning. I have 2 motherboards. not sure on the specs unfortunalety.
one (the older one) says theres no diskette drive found. the other (the newer one/obviously) will work for approx 10 15 minutes at a time, then the hdd light will display constantly as if the think had frozen the instant ive switched it on :S the monitor stays black with the light on orange, ive unplugged the monitor plug and is displays, no signal. check video lead. yadiyadiya. ive gone through unpluging the drives, cd/dvd/secondary drives/floppy. to see if siomething was putting extra load on it or something. im an auto electrician so im in my mind of thought as if i were at work. lol. ive tried with the xp installation  cd to see if it made a difference...obviously not.
any help anyone can give ill appreciate...thanks heaps
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 09:26:29 PM »

Hello and Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca

You need to do some more explaining, your words are not clear.

When you say you have 2 motherboards, are you swapping these in and out of the case or do you have 2 computers? Where there operating systems on these hard drives? Did they ever work before?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 02:43:26 AM »

hi there. thanks for your reply.
sorry about the confusing details.
i have 2 motherboards. im not sure of the details on either and im swapping between them both.
see i got given a case and it had the mb, ram in it. and the previous owner got told they had probs with the mb so they had to buy a new one. im using the case with my hdd, and mb and cd/dvd drives.
yea it used to work just fone, i think i got a virus somehow. cuz after that it had troubles starting up. and when it would id run antivirus programs but they wpouldnt find anything. i backed up my important files and then tried starting with a fresh copy of windows. oh also before i git this problem i found this site that "aparently" could help speed up the process of the computer. it disabled a heap of things that just used up the memory. i gues that wasnt a good idea. im not sure if that made a problem. it was in service.msc.
Im using Windows XP Pro *service pack 1.
*What does this mean

Thanks again for everything
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 02:58:25 AM »

Its not advisable to swap hard drives into different systems without formatting the drive and installing a fresh copy of Windows. When you install XP on a system it is married so to speak to the hardware configuration when it was installed and when a mobo is changed it takes a hissy fit. You also cannot use the Windows XP license on more than one machine, if the mobo dies on the computer so does the license, you need to purchase another one, this is Microsofts rules.
Im not quite sure what you are asking help with in this thread, you cannot jump from machine to machine and expect proper assistance.
I will try to assista you but you cannot be swapping machines and such on me as it gets too confusing, you will end up doing more harm than good because of miss communication.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 08:08:49 AM »

OH Crud. i wasnt aware that its not good to swap bit around. oops i hope i havent done heaps of damage. ummm im not sure where to start. im using my laptop to get some help. if available. ill try to list my probs.
1. i changed motherboards. but the newer mobo doesnt allow the screen to stay on.
2. i changed motherboards back tot he original one. and not it wont start up past the windows xp logo
3. i tried to install a fresh copy of windows. (i have a disk for this one comp) but it did nothing.
4. i tried unpluggin devices seeing if there was too much expectation from the system. but also this did nothing.
5 i tried spapping the 40pin cables to see if there was bad connections there, but once again nothing

could i have done something to the mobo by swapping it without installing a fresh copy of XP?
i can get into BIOS. but thats all...it can get through the start of installation but once it restarts, and gets to the logo, it freezes
just wandering what could/would be the main cause of computer freezing.

i hope this cleared up any confusion. if theres any specs you may need (from bios) im more than happy to retrieve them.
thanks so much for ANY advice or help i can get. i really do appreciate it
lux86

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 08:13:52 AM »

The problem is my computer wont start properly or at all. when i changed the things listed previously nothing helped. it gets to the XP logo then freezes. and the logo doesnt quite appear bright, its very dull. i hope that also clears up my probs.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 10:03:37 AM »

No harm to the mobo by swapping its the hard drive installation that gets picky.

Set the BIOS to boot from the cd drive as first device, then place your windows cd in threre and boot to it, format the drive and do a fresh installation.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 11:17:13 AM »

although i swapped it back to the original setup. it said no diskette found :S anyway ill give that a try, would it help if i unplugged everything, i dont know, to reset everything, like the ram, cpu, remove that battery. would that help out or do harm???
lux86

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 09:16:46 AM »

ok so i tried to format and boot from the cd and install fresh copy of windows. it freezes at the 34 minute left mark..
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 10:33:50 AM »

Are you sure the drive is good, Find the manufacturer of your hard drive and run their Hard Drive Diagnostics Utility.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 03:31:00 AM »

i think so. i tried 2 different hdd's and the same thing happened to both. i found out it'd be something on the mobo, it sound like something died. but i also found out that the other mobo (spare), the reason it runs for 15 mins then goes blank is coz its missing the graphics card...so im gonna try buying a grapgics card, they're not that expensive, and use that mobo. thanks for all your help and time. and sorry about the confusion
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: