MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Setting up a LAn
April 02, 2020, 10:54:03 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 02, 2020, 10:54:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Setting up a LAn  (Read 899 times)
diablo_nda

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2007, 02:06:35 PM »

I want to set up a LAN consisting of 8 computers. I want to know what is the best way of going about it. Can I set up a wireless network with one comp acting as a server or do I need to have a hub?
As I am a newbie in the field of Networks I would like to get a proper guide on how to set up the LAN and would also like to know how to configure the IP adress.
Thank You
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 07:38:56 PM »

There are two ways to go about this.

One is have one computer serve as a host to the LAN and therefore be connected to a HUB or SWITCH with 8 control ports, one for each computer and don't forget to make amends for the server machine, so a 16 port switch is what you'd be looking at.

The easier way about it, would be to get a 8 port router that would serve as the gateway to the internet, if need be, at the very least it would be supplying the internal IP addresses for the computers on the LAN.

After that, it should be quite easy to set up the network.

When you've decided on which course of action you want to take, then post back and we'll take it from there.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: