MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Computer Freezing after 1 hour
April 02, 2020, 08:56:14 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 02, 2020, 08:56:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Computer Freezing after 1 hour  (Read 1755 times)
lux86

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2007, 10:44:32 AM »

Hi There, ive a little problem with my computer. After about 1 hour of usage, the monitor turns to standby mode, the computer is still running but it seems to be frozen, the hdd light on the front of the tower is solid on. the only thing i can do it switch it off and leave it for a good few hours (i havent counted yet) and try see if it works. usually i leave it for a few days and itll work again for the same time period then do the same thing.
ive been told i need a graphics card for the agp slot (theres nothing in it) but ive also been told theres one built into the motherboard. could the one in the mobo be faulty, would it be that i need a new g/card for the agp slot???
any help would be reatly appreciated.
its a compaq 1ghz processor 248mb ram and i got a 40gb hdd (not than thats relevant) the system originally had windows me on it. aldo wandering if its an overload having xp pro installed...
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 10:45:45 AM »

Yes it could be the graphics, have you replaced it?

Find the manufacturer of your hard drive and run their Hard Drive Diagnostics Utility.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 08:10:03 PM »

Sorry to intervene on your turf Geekgirl Wink

It's also entirely possible that the installation of the necessary motherboard, chipset and graphics drivers for the onboard chip to function correctly, hasn't been performed yet. Knowledge of that would be extremely helpful. Now take it over from here Smiley

lux86

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 11:19:46 PM »

hi there thanks heaps for your help. i took the computer to a shop. the main board had died. we tried a heap of different devices. i now have a newish prob. the comp now is saying :error loading operatin system.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 12:06:31 AM »

That means you'll have to reinstall the operating system to suit the new motherboard. If you have data on your harddrive that you wish to keep hold of, I recommend backing it up and then reformat - reinstall Windows - install motherboard drivers - install chipset drivers - install graphics card drivers - install soundcard drivers - install DirectX again and then reinstall all your programs and applications.

Otherwise the system will never work properly.

Good luck

lux86

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 08:44:07 AM »

i've tried to reinstall a fresh copy of xp pro. and it still said error loading operating system. the previous hdd that was in it had windows 2000 and it worked fine. but i now have a bigger hdd i wish to use. ive also tried installing windows 2000 to see if it was a matter of not having enough power or something to load xp. im really not sure of what to do to overcome this problem. also theres a passwoed on the bios thing and im not sure what it is, i got the unit nd hand. any ideas of ways to over come this as well. much appreciated for any help or ideas given Smiley
lux86

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 11:41:31 PM »

ive managed to find a site that allows me to reset the bios password. as for the error starting system note, ive found you have to change a bios setting from auto to large, i tried this but also nothing. now it wont even load the disc...im really stuck in a deep hole. any ideas what to try.?
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 11:47:45 PM »

Do you have the necessary drivers for the motherboard to understand a bigger harddrive. It's entirely possible that you need new drivers that need to be installed prior to the OS being installed properly and that has to be done via a floppy disk.

Also, a good way to wipe the harddrive completely is to get a Win98 bootdisk from Bootdisk dot com and make sure you read all the information before using the tools on it. This will also require you to have a floppy drive in the rig.

One more thing, make sure that the boot sequence in your bios is set to the following:

1  Floppy drive
2 CD Rom
3 Hdd0  (I presume that's the official moniker for it in the BIOS)

Then try again Smiley

lux86

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 09:53:38 AM »

awesome ill try this... so the formatting in windows setup wont wipe it entirely...also im not sure where to find what kind of drivers i need...is tere a code or something on the mobo i can use to locate the actual drivers? thanks again for your help
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 12:36:39 AM »

Go to CPU-ID and download their handy little tool, CPU-Z.

You can find out what you need about your motherboard from there, make, model, revision number, southbridge, chipset etc.

Note all of those things down, download the necessary drivers for each item (all should be accessible from the mobo manufacturer) and store them where you can grab a hold of them without having to search forever Smiley

Then you're all set really. But I recommend reading up on the use of the boot-floppy at the bootdisk website, because they have invaluable information there.
When you use the boot-floppy, I recommend wiping the harddrive by using the command delete partition from within FDISK.

Also make sure you read properly upon that little utility, before you attempt to use it.
Good luck.

lux86

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 09:53:35 AM »

remember i dont have any OS on the unit at the moment. i have formatted im not sure how to use these drivers without having a os installed...

sorry for the inconvenience i may have caused but i am really lost without my computer.

i do appreciate everything bit of advice you give.

ive tried doing a fresh install of winXP. still nothing. how does one go about writing zero and low level format thingy
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 06:59:23 AM »

You shouldn't need to do that really. All it takes is the win98 bootfloppy and the FDISK command from there. It enables you to delete all partitions on the harddrive, regardless of file system.

Then you also need to make sure that the boot order is correct, i.e. floppy first, cd rom second and harddrive third.

Try the bootfloppy and the order change of the boot sequence and then report back with your findings.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: