MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Computer Related Discussions arrow Computer Health & Ergonomics arrow Topic: Get some response up you pathetic laptop !!!!
October 24, 2020, 12:56:20 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2020, 12:56:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Get some response up you pathetic laptop !!!!  (Read 4642 times)
timsquirrel

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2007, 07:02:25 PM »

Hi Techsupport tecchies,

I have a few problems with my Acer Travelmate 2700 laptop.  I bought it around this time 2 years ago, and it's very unresponsive!  Angry  It takes ages for the opening of an app to happen, and when I think the PC hasn't responded, I naturally click until the app DOES open.  However, this is to my detriment because when I go to shut the PC down, the laptop suddenly decides to wake up & present me with 2 or more instances of the app!

I've defragmented the hard drive (two partitions - C and E), which has resulted in a little speed boost, but not much.  You will notice from Windows XP Pro's system information text file that I've attached, that there is very little free space in these partitions.  But I've tried taking off everything I possibly can!  Angry  Speaking to a technician in a computer shop, he suspected a virus/viruses, but the anti-virus scan hasn't revealed anything.  BTW, after exporting the system information to a text file, the System Information app refused to close via the red X!!!!  Angry

When I shut down, most times XP needs to install updates, normally about 12 updates.  But these take ages to install, and I find my laptop only shutting down half-an-hour later!  Also, you may notice in my system info text file that I have a Belkin USB wireless Internet adapter that should initiate upon boot-up, connecting my laptop to our ADSL broadband connection in our house.  This doesn't always happen, and I have to reboot sometimes a couple of times before I have the connection.

Internet Explorer 7 also gives problems while surfing, and today it just stopped responding as if I'd clicked on a web page button labelled "Don't Respond"  Wink  What a dweebazoid machine.  Roll Eyes

Is this laptop on it's way out?  Should I give it the boot?   Huh?  Should I (try to) sell it and get myself a new desktop PC, maybe an HP Pavilion?  Please let me know if there's something more that I can do with this PC, otherwise I just want to get rid of it!

When you reply to this post, please also send your reply to royn@mibfa.co.za.

Thanks guys!

Roy Nel
JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 10:53:49 PM »

What you must realise is that the system drive, probably your C: drive, needs about 5 GB of free space to work at a decent enough speed. First of all it's for the page file and second of all it's for the temporary files you will find Windows using a lot.

My recommendation is this:

Go to the CleanUp! website and download the application they have on offer there. Incidentally enough, it's called CleanUp!

Install it and then run it and let it do it's part in cleaning up your machine. When the application prompts you to log off and log back on, do so and have another go at it. Then try a few applications and report back about the performance.

timsquirrel

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 05:56:29 PM »

Hi redaxe,

Thanks for replying.  I fully understand what you say about needing enough HDD space for Windows to run efficiently.  I, in fact, removed a lot of software & files from my C: drive today, but still only have about 3Gb remaining.  I did run Windows "Disk Cleanup" utility.

I have therefore come to the conclusion that my laptop does not cater for my needs any longer, and I have decided to sell it.

Thanks very much for your help, redaxe!

Roy Nel.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 06:58:38 AM »

The Windows Cleanup utility is next to useless, so it's imperative that you try the tool I pointed you towards. 3GB is way too little for the needs of Windows XP anyway, you need at least 5 GB for it to run smoothly, otherwise it's bound to stutter badly.

In fact, the Windows Defrag tool is also completely useless, since it always claims to have finished after about 65% of it's work, which is why I always point people towards http://www.dirms.com for a proper defrag tool.

Try that as well, but only after you've used CleanUp! 4.5.2, which I pointed you towards in my last post. It's freeware

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: