MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: upgrading MHZ
September 15, 2019, 05:18:31 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 15, 2019, 05:18:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: upgrading MHZ  (Read 5813 times)
patsplat

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2003, 02:39:54 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:    win98 SE
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I just bought an older computer with the intention of upgrading it for my daughter, basically i bought it with the idea of giving the 17" monitor to my son so the $125 i paid for the complete system wasn't a total waste, once i got home i hooked it up and realized that it only has a 120 mhz, 16mb ram and 2gig harddrive.  I want to upgrade it to min 400 mhz, 128m ram and whatever gigs for the hardrive.  i looked inside and it has simm mem and only one dimm slot,, i took out my sons 32m pc100 and fit it into the dimm slot and that seemed to work, so i have now 48m ram  what i don't know is if my mother board can handle a chip upgrade.  how do i find that out???
and will all this stop it from crashing?

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 05:55:27 PM »

Pretty please use the standard font, yours is so hard to read!

Err... could you tell me the make and type of the motherboard, CPU, RAM and CMOS?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2003, 06:14:44 PM »

Hi,

If you find the make and model of the motherboard I can find out what CPU it will handle but from the sound of it, if it is a Pentium 120, it probably won't go any higher than a 233 (which is the max Pentium speed), if you're lucky.  If you want a 400mhz CPU, you will have to replace the motherboard, which the form changed from an AT style to an ATX style motherboard. This requires a new case! Therefore, in essence, this upgrade would almost be a new system!

Unless the crashes are due to a defective CPU, replacing it will not solve your crashes. Make sure the CPU fan is spinning and the system is free of dust. Overheating will cause system lockups, shutdowns....

Let me know about the motherboard

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
patsplat

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 01:05:57 AM »

Hi,

thanks for the responses.  Ok, I'm not a whiz at this stuff just a self taught type, but from what i've seen ,, a chip that says pentium 1, and in the system properties it says pentium(r)processor,  i now have 48 mgs ram, 16 of which are on simm and i borrowed a 32 from another computer and put that into the dimm.  what is the difference in AT and ATX?  I was in a future shop yesturday and they said not to bother upgrading it at all, so now i was thinking of just building one from scratch.  I was going to use the tower (case) now i'm not sure,  it looks the same as my other computers?

what to do?  and if i decide to build from scratch,, what are some things of great importance that i should keep in mind.

thanks!!!!:)

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 11:45:55 AM »

Buy a well know Motherboard brand like Intel or IBM or ACER with all of the extras built onto the mother board. No need to mix and match and all the things like graphics card and LAN and sound card are already matched to the Motherboard by the factory.

Prices these days mean that you pay more for older and the latest stuff so get a P4 2.4 GHz CPU '512 Mg DDR RAM' for 300-400 dollars oof the shelf...

So stop building and start using.

Good luck

patsplat

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 12:05:46 AM »

Thanks,

I'm assuming from what you wrote , you mean get a motherboard that has the modem, ram, .....all the "extra" components, built right into the board as opposed to one where you buy each component seperately.  If thats the case,, what happens when one of the components dies?  wouldn't you have to replace the whole board, or get some tech. to repair it?  I'd rather just pop it out and replace it.  I want to build, this way i know whats going into machine "for real".

thanks

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 02:03:27 PM »

I know what you mean because you are me.   Smiley

But honestly I don't know why you want to waste your time like this. My suggestion comes from decades of rummaging through computer bins to make up old clunkers so I didn't have to pay for anything. Good experience but actually time wasted!

All good 'got everything' boards will allow you to fit all of those extra components anyway. If something goes wrong, just plug a board onto the mother board and it will detect it and override the onboard component.

What I am suggesting is the element of compatability. If you mix and match components without understanding the performance and compatability specs. you will always create a bottle neck for data transfer and permanently slow your system.

Know anyone who bought a hot rod computer only to find that it is not really that quick, thats everyone.

My Intel 845GBVL board is just OK. I use win98 which chokes the 'on board' video card (V/C) and sound card. So I have a Creative sound card and a well researched out V/C plugged in.

BUT get one with 4-6 RAM ports, no less.

patsplat

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 11:31:32 PM »

I guess my answer to why bother is, I have a mind that needs to know why,, it will not sit still to "it works because it does" ,, I need hands on get in there and learn, even if it means a few extra bucks.  I bought a computer last year I thought it was a good one, but frankly, my first computer runs more efficiently and with less problems.  I need to learn what causes conflicts and what will not.  example,,, my "great" computer was purchased with a 1700 mhx, but its set to run at only 1100, I don't get it. why pay for 1700 but it shouldn't run at that Huh?   call it infatuation or hobby I don't know, what i do know is when there isn't a problem to fix i am bored.  you mentioned you run win98, is there a reason why you haven't moved up to me, xp?  that has been another issue i've been tossen' around, I have 4 desktops and a notebook all running on 98,
XP or not to XP, that is the question.  Your opinion?
and thank you very much for all your info/input I greatly appreciate it!! Pat:-*

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2003, 07:59:50 AM »

Win 98 is FAT16/FAT32

Xp is NTFS

"never the twain shall meet!"

Most of the software does not mix and in 2000 and XP there is no DOS, so if windows won't restart your dead.

Stick with 98SE its more fun, forget XP but look at 2000 seriously.

patsplat

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2003, 12:04:05 PM »

did you mean that ME and XP have no dos?, or 2000?  I thought I had heard that 2000 had some bugs?  actually i am very happy with 98, for this reason, i'm ordering all my kids curriculum for school ASAP, because i don't want to have to buy another operating system every time they decide to redo the product.
thanks again, pat

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2003, 01:58:56 PM »

Hi,

I'm back! Anyways, like I said in my previous post and also the Future Shop person, upgrading may not be an option because of the case. ATX form factor cases/motherboards started using PS/2 mouse and keyboard connectors (small round connectors) and are usually all lined up (mouse, keyboard, usb, video connectors) in a straight line along one side of the case. If your system has the connectors all over the place and still uses the large round keyboard and serial mouse connectors, then most likely it is an AT style case/motherboard and would require the case the be changed.

You seem to want to build your system part by part to learn, which I think is great! Building a system is always 'educational'. The only thing you have to consider is that the system may cost you more in the end but may very well be worth it to you.

Also about your 1700 Mhz cpu, if it's an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ then it's core speed is 1.47Ghz

As for the OS, I am running WinXP at work and think it's great! I haven't had any problems on over 100+ systems. If you're worried about not being able to boot to DOS in emergencies, don't format the drive NTFS, it does support FAT32! It also has a recovery console that emulates a DOS environment for troubleshooting when the drive is NTFS.

Good Luck!

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2003, 02:07:03 PM »

Brilliant!

Admin, thanks for that, even I learn something new everyday. XP with DOS, I knew it could exist but I have never seen it.

I can't recommend something I have not used, however any time I see this agaim I will refer it it to the admin.

Don't close this forum off please, as I will be away for a week and yet I feel I still have a lot contribute to Pat's enthusiasm for learning experiences.

Smiley

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2003, 02:10:17 PM »

It's 11:40 pm here and 8:11 am for you Admin, I'm still at work and your beginning work far too early!

Happy posting.    Smiley

patsplat

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2003, 04:46:17 PM »

Hi, ok i actually have the motherboard case in front of me right now, its not a amd, what it says,, is K7S5A, Also on the box is ISO-9001 thats for the 1700 it says, "ECS Elitegroup" if this means anything to you,, cause it doesn't me,,lol,  this computer was built for us at CDC in Winnipeg. that was early in 2002, I've had to replace the power supply already on that.  I'm not really impressed with it.  The monitor is the only thing i go gaga over, as i use it for digital photography as well.  So, I'll forget the upgrade of the old clunker, but i will use it for my kids to learn more about computers, this way if they trash it, its ok..lol  I'm going to build and have from now til September to finish, so a little bit every month will not empty my pocketbook,,, that fast.  what is the first thing i should purchase? Case and Mother board? and becaue i want to run it on win98 is there something that i need to look out for?
thanks alot!  Pat

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2003, 05:20:25 PM »

Hi,

As long as the hardware you buy says on the box that it supports win98, meaning there are drivers available, then you should be fine.

The first thing I would buy is the motherboard, cpu and memory. Then I would get the case, the hard drive.... This is because the motherboard model and memory will depend on the CPU you get! Also if you plan in building this over the summer, buy the video card last since it's life cycle is about 6 months, meaning a new model comes out once or twice a year! The most expensive video card out on the market now may be the mid level card at the end of the summer and drop it's price to an effordable level!

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: