MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Power or V card problem ?!?!
November 17, 2019, 02:43:14 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2019, 02:43:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Power or V card problem ?!?!  (Read 1381 times)
sixpax

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2003, 03:46:54 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: win 98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: PII 350 gateway comp
Error Messages:

Ok this one has me puzzled....
If I leave the computer off for a while it boots up fine and works fine.
the only thing is after a few hours of use it locks up and shuts down.
I get many different errors and sometimes it just reboots and goes to post.
I get Windows errors and many Frequency display errors before and after shutdown.
after this it will not complete the POST at all, i must leave it turned off for about 6 hours before it will work again.
I have re-installed windows several times, reseated all cards and tried a new/different RAM dimm.

To this date i have not yet tried a new power supply or video card.
I thought i would post here for some suggestions before i did any of that.
Yes it is a rather old system so i am leaning toward the power supply, but could an overheating/failing video card do this as well?

btw, it is a stb velocity 128 video card

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 06:05:53 PM »

Could it be that you have a dust build up problem in the heat sink of your CPU? It could be that your CPU is randomly overheating and crashing out.

I suggest that you vacuum out your case and brush clean your mobo. Get a tooth brush and brush out the CPU heatsink and fan. It could also be that your CPU fan is dead or slow. Just unclip it, peel off the makers label and drop the smallest drop of lite oil onto the axel, hey presto it's flying again.

Also check to see that the heatsink is actually contacting the CPU. It may be that it is not or the white heat transfer grease that contacts the CPU to the heatsink needs replacing.

Your problem smacks of CPU overheating, so look at the above things first, then get back to me.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2003, 06:08:30 PM by rghasenohr » Logged

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2003, 06:06:28 PM »

Hi,

Definitely sounds like an overheating problem. Remove all the dust you can using a can of compressed air purchased from a computer store. Make sure you get as much of the dust out of the power supply as you can through the ventilation cracks. Dust acts like a blanket and keep the heat from dissipating off your electronic components.

Make sure all your fans are spinning and that the CPU fan is flat and well secured on the CPU.

If your video card has a fan, make sure it is also spinning.

Once the dust is removed and the CPU fan is checked, if the problems persists, I would replace the power supply if the store you deal with will take it back if the it doesn't solve the problem.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 06:17:38 PM »

Looks like we're posting at the same time! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2003, 06:41:50 PM »

Looks like it, but for me it's 4:12 am on a Sunday morning!

sixpax

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2003, 09:18:35 PM »

alas i fear that is not the problem.
all fans are working properly and the cpu and heatsink are clean and connected properly.
it just happened again, i was playing a game and all of a sudden it just started rebooting , i got a few diferent errors when i continued trying to reboot.
some were.... cannot find HIGHMEM.SYS or whatever that windows file is.
I also got other various files not being able to be found, and sometimes it would post to windows only to get the "frequency out of range" error with my display/video card.

this is why i figured perhaps the power supply is going bad and when used too much it cant keep up or something, or perhaps it is the Motherboard even.
I guess ill just go buy a cheap PS and/or V card that are returnable and try it that way.

I appreciate teh help. if/when i find out what it is i will post it here Smiley

sixpax

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2003, 02:59:07 AM »

I keep getting windows protection errors on boot up now.
I think somehow my HD is in compressed mode and when i try to reinstall windows it says it cant because the largest available program size is too small.

any idea on that one?

Also, i have tried using a different hard drive with a configuration i know works and gotten no different results.

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2003, 12:56:16 PM »

I think I know what the problem is as I have had exactly the same thing when I first started with win 98.

My solution was to radically expand or increase the system caches using a simple but affective free ware program called cachebooster by Analogx.com.

Go to this web site and go to software/system/cachebooster.exe and download it. install immediately and then dramatically increase the the cache sizes through the program cachebooster.

....to check that it is working just go to control panel/system/performance/file system/hard disk/typical role for this computer/ and make sure that Cachebooster is selected here!

Also insert these lines into your config.sys file right at the top...

shell=c:\windows\command\command.com c:\windows\command\ /e:1024 /p
DOS=HIGH,UMB
files=255

ONE MORE THING, from what you have told me you seem to have set your display refresh frequency too high. Yes it may work for the monitor but it looks as if the V/C is not coping. Go to control panel/display/settings/performance/ and reduce the hardware acceleration to 3/4.

good luck

sixpax

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2003, 09:20:38 PM »

Dont ask me what as wrong, i dont think i could tell you other than a slightly loose connection.

I bought a new PS and was installing it, but, it was the wrong plugs on it so i had to return it.
I then hooked everything back up to the old PS and it has worked fine since.

Would a conflict on the IDE line do something like that?
Because for some reason my HD and cdrom were both on the primary ide chan.  so i split them up and only the hd is on the primary now.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2003, 01:50:55 PM »

Hi,

If I understand correctly, since you reseated your power supply connectors, your power on problems have gone away?

That's great! Grin

A hard drive and cdrom drive can be put on the same IDE channel.

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: