MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: hard disk write protected
June 06, 2020, 11:08:15 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2020, 11:08:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hard disk write protected  (Read 1179 times)
trwwci

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2007, 01:34:33 AM »

had an apparent virus problem , so i had local techs put in new hard drive and xfer old data to " E Drive " .
never had nuch reson to check , but today i tried updating some folders on E drive and now i get ' please remove write protection' caution
i can copy files frokm new C to root of E , but when i try to copy same file to a subdirectory on E i get the error .

how can i turn off wrtie protection to E . the tech guys also installed something called partition magic 8 - could this have been the problem ?

awaiting usual industrial strength responses that have helped in the past

thanx

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 01:54:06 PM »

Well, the first thing to check is to see if your current user account has administrative rights on your system.

To do that you go to your Control Panel and click Users and Groups (or something to that effect)
Click your account name and you'll see what rights you have.

Then post back with your findings

trwwci

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 06:02:56 PM »

thanx for the tip , i checked and there is one administrator account and a guest account .

when my computer hibernates and comes back on , the administrator account is the one that is active.

the techs installed partition magic 8.0 / could this be a path to check ?

thanx for your interest

Tom

trwwci

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:00:15 PM »

everything is ok fine now , called the techs again and with the install there were 5 users and only one had admin rights , but they are not sure why the " E  " drive was labeled ' read only ' . they think it may be a carryover from the old ' C " drive user setup

whatever !

it works now

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 11:03:08 AM »

Glad to hear that you managed to get it fixed.

Hopefully this will be one problem you can avoid in the future and if not, at least you know how to tackle it Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: