MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: HP laptop monitor and wireless problem - motherboard may be ruined?
June 06, 2020, 12:02:31 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2020, 12:02:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HP laptop monitor and wireless problem - motherboard may be ruined?  (Read 1085 times)
nyalugwe

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2007, 03:18:45 AM »

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion laptop, a year old
It has an AMD Turion 64 x 2 Mobile Technology TL-50 processor
1024 MB of system memory
running Windows XP

A couple weeks ago, my wireless adapter, which is built into the motherboard, stopped working.  There is a switch on the side of the computer to turn it on and off; when it is switched on a light goes from blue to orange.  Now the light stays orange all the time, and I cannot open the HP Wireless Assistant software - when I click the exe file nothing happens.

I thought this was an isolated problem, but now a couple days ago, the computer froze with a white bar on the screen that covers about the bottom inch of the screen.  To my shock, when I rebooted the computer, the white bar was still there!

At present the computer is still usable, because I have a DSL hookup to run internet from, and I can still work without having the bottom inch of the screen (though it is annoying).

I am not sure if the problems are linked, but I fear it may be a problem with the motherboard itself.  I work my computer fairly hard - I am a statistician and run simulations on it that use a lot of CPU power and sometimes last for days.  I am wondering if you think from these symptoms that the motherboard itself is damaged, and what could be the cause?  I have not dropped the computer or otherwise mishandled it.

The good news is, the computer is under a comprehensive warranty package, so if it is the motherboard I think they will replace it for free.  But I have heard from other people that service technicians at the store where I bought it often misdiagnose problems and you have to go weeks without a computer as it is shuttled back and forth being fixed.

So if possible I would like to have a good handle on what the problem is before I take it in.  Any insight that could be provided is much appreciated.

-Tom
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 12:40:22 AM »

Since the computer is only a year old, it should be under warranty and this sort of a failure should be covered by that warranty. So based on that assumption, I'd take the laptop to the shop where you bought it and ask for a checkup/repair under the conditions of the warranty. Trying to mess about with it yourself will only result in them deciding that you've broken something yourself and thus disqualified yourself from the cover of the warranty.

That's my first recommendation, no matter what else can be done.

Alternatively, search for the driver package for that particular laptop on the HP website and download the wireless drivers, along with any other drivers you may find needing an update. Then install them in the best severity order, with the most severe problem addressed first and the easiest one last. Use a different computer for the job and burn the tools to a CD if you must..

Good luck

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: