MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: Pretty Please.....Spell check PROBLEM in Word 2003
June 05, 2020, 05:14:06 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2020, 05:14:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pretty Please.....Spell check PROBLEM in Word 2003  (Read 1270 times)
nikkib

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2007, 09:40:33 PM »

Hello,

I have been having this weird problem with my spell check in Word.  Angry

I have a Dell laptop, pentium3.  I bought it second hand.

The laptop which is not used for internet at all, used to have WinNT 4.1, but since I have my own OS (Win XP Pro sp2) on a desktop I did a clean install on the laptop HD, removing all traces of the old stuff.  I have no spell check problem on my desktop.  So then I used my cd of Office 2003 and installed it on the laptop.  Since then it has been bugging.  When I open a word document (blank) right away the spell check prompts me that it is done spell checking...it does this repeatedly until I press "esc".  I am comfortable enough with the registry that I went in and renamed the custom dic so it would no longer work (I can use a separate spell checker).  Nope!  No can do.  Word is too smart for me and my laptop: it recreates a folder when not found so my problem keeps coming back. 

I have tried a registry cleaner (recommended on this site) to clean up the possible problems in the registry.  Also tried clean install 2 more times.  Tried a custom install without Outlook (heard it could be the problem).  Couldn't get TUT to work for me (?), also tried removing the "proof" files but they keep coming back.  I ran an AV (Norton) from the original disk, nothing.  At this point I'm thinking the darn machine is messing with me.  So I come to youse!

Please any help on this would make my day, any clue at all, pleeeaaase.

Thx!

Nicole 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 09:14:20 PM by nikkib » Logged
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 12:29:01 AM »

It seems like your computer just doesn't like this incarnation of Microsoft Office, so I'll point you towards something from the open source community.

Open Office is a very powerful office suite, and it does almost everything that the Microsoft suite does, with the exception of the odd feature. It's got a built in spell checker and, if memory serves me right, you can obtain additional spell checkers for other languages as well, but please don't hold me to that one Wink

Open Office can save all your documents as Word docs, it's just a matter of changing the extension option when you're saving the file for the first time.

Test that one and tell me how you managed to get on.

Good luck Smiley

nikkib

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 01:46:24 AM »

Redaxe,

I borrowed a copy of MS Word from a friend and believe or not the same thing with spell check keeps coming back.  It does the same thing after a few test rounds so...I will give Open Office a go and throw my Word out the door!

Thanks for your help!

Nicole Grin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: