MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: intermittent power switch - no beeps - no video
November 15, 2019, 11:08:55 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 15, 2019, 11:08:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: intermittent power switch - no beeps - no video  (Read 886 times)
archp2007

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2007, 11:49:39 PM »

I'm hoping that the forum can assist me in a problem that I am having with my old computer.  I would like to get it working for my spouse.  I had some problems with the original motherboard (bad DIMM sockets, etc.) and replaced it with another motherboard. I noticed afterwards  that the power switch did not always work.  This got worse until sometimes you might have to press the button 50 times to get a boot up. I used the hibernate function and got by like this for a long time. Later I had trouble with the video going and coming.  At first it would come back when I wiggled the cable where it enters the computer, but finally it went for good.  I tried subsituting video cards, monitors, and took everything apart and tested the mobo alone.  I got no beep.  When I pushed the power button I noticed the fan for the cpu jerk a little bit each time it tried to start.  When it did start, all the fans (ps/video card/cpu) worked, but I got no speaker beep and no video whaever.  I had the p/s tested at a computer store and all the lights came on the tester. The hard drive seems to make a slight sound but doesn't seem to spin.
What do you think I should try next?  I'd hate to try a third motherboard and fry another one! Any comments would be appreciated.  Has anyone encountered similar problems and solved them?
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 12:18:44 AM »

So after replacing the mobo you still encountered all these issues?

power switch did not always work
trouble with the video going and coming
the fan for the cpu jerk a little bit each time it tried to start
hard drive seems to make a slight sound but doesn't seem to spin

Sounds like a bad mobo for sure

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 07:52:43 PM »

The original poster said nothing about the age or output capabilities of his PSU, so that might also be a relevant issue here. But you've caught some good prospects so far GG.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: