MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Data Recovery Problem
November 21, 2019, 05:32:53 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2019, 05:32:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Data Recovery Problem  (Read 1961 times)
ronjon27

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:02:46 PM »

I own a Maxtor  200 GB external Hard Drive which is only about 1 1/2 years old.   I had connected to my home computer.  Yesterday, I wanted to transfer some information to my office computer.  I copied the information and then shut down the unit and brought it to work.

I have tried to connect it to several computers and none of them are able to read the external hard drive.  It shows up as drive E:, but when you click on it, nothing is there.  I contaced Seqagate (they purchased Maxtor) yesterday and they walked me through a knowledge based diagonosis and one of there tech determined that it is a faluty hard drive.

The problem now becomes Data recovery.  Seagate quoted me $1,400 to recover the data. Then I contacted the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy and they said it would cost about $650.  Wow!

So, finally, here is my question.  That hard drive contains ALL of our family digital photos.  I really need to figure a way to revoer that information.  Does anyone  know of a way to recover the data at a lesser expence? or is there a process that I can follow to try to access that hard drive myself to recover the data?

I'll wait for a response.  Thanks.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 08:11:07 PM »

I would go to http://www.briggsoft.com/dsnoop.htm and get my hands on the trial version of Directory Snoop.

You'll have 25 runs of the full software before you have to buy a license and, to be honest, the 40 dollar price is worth every cent, should you decide you need it for the future. You don't have to buy it, but after all it's going to be your call.

The data recovery companies are just trying to screw you over financially, which is something I'm trying to help you avoid here.

Please let me know how things went, after your recovery attempts.

Good luck (make a point of checking if the drive works properly in the computer you used to move the data in the first place)

ronjon27

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 08:10:03 PM »

I did download that software .  Thank you.  However, that does not help me, as the drive is not being recognized by any computer.  I believe, eventhough it is only 1 year old, that the drive itself my be faulty.  When I start it up, the orange light comes on, but only for a short period of time.  It used to stay on the entire time, indicating that my computer was reading teh drive.  Is there any way to force a computer to read the drive or do you have ny other suggestions?  Undecided
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 01:42:28 PM »

This has actually been happening to my USB Lacie 500GB external drive. Though it comes alive after about 30 minutes, which I presume it's using to check bad sectors and make sure things are in order.

How long have you left it on, before giving up on it per session?

ronjon27

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 02:54:43 PM »

It has remained on for the last 3 days.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »

Did anything happen to the drive, from the time you put the data onto it and until you plug it into the computer at work, e.g. falling, getting knocked about, placed on top of a speaker or something else you may think of?

ronjon27

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 03:10:43 PM »

No, I just disconected it from my home computer, placed it in my briefcase and brought it into work.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 08:06:50 PM »

Was it secure in your briefcase then? or did it have a chance to rattle around when you moved from the car to your desk?

ronjon27

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 08:16:23 PM »

For the mospart it was secure, but anything is possible.  What are you thinking?  If the hard drive was damaged, am I screwed?
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 10:04:54 AM »

If the bearings in the drive have broken, then your only option may be a data recovery company. As you've already found out, they just dive into your wallet.

Is there a tech department at your workplace that has access to data recovery of this sort? If there is, try to get their help. Otherwise I'm afraid your drive will cost you a lot of money. But then again if the data is of a great sentimental value, then it might be worth the sacrifice.

ronjon27

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 12:25:52 PM »

We have ALL of our family photos.  Thanks, so much, for all your help.  It was nice having a second opinion.  Have a great day.  Smiley
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 12:25:45 PM »

You too mate

I hope your predicament won't be too expensive, I hate having to concede to a problem like this Sad

After you've recovered what you regard as essential, then make a point of backing up all your important data on more than just one medium. For example, burn it off to a couple of DVDs or CDs (depending on the amount of data) and have a copy on two or more of your harddrives (also depending on the amount of data).

If you have access to a web hosting company, i.e. http://www.oneandone.com or something like that, store your most important stuff there; such as your family pictures and such. Companies like OneAndOne do daily backups of their databases and thus help you to hold onto your precious things.

Good luck and hope you have a great weekend

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: