MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Computer Related Discussions arrow Buying Advice arrow Topic: Building Gaming system
October 15, 2019, 07:07:15 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 15, 2019, 07:07:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Building Gaming system  (Read 1832 times)
Newbie96

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2007, 03:54:47 PM »

Hi,

I am looking a parts for a gaming system to replace my old 32 bit system. If I have a speedy 64 bit system what are my best options for an OS so that I see the speed of the system but do not have trouble with software or drivers? Thanks

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 09:20:49 AM »

If you want a problem free system, for gaming, then you're going to be best off with Windows XP Pro for starters. As that's the best supported OS around at the moment.

Vista is still lacking, but moving in the right direction even if it's slow going. The 64 bit OS will be problematic, since the driver support is low at the moment and it's taking a long time for it to catch up, for some reason. Though the biggest problem with 64bit is that about 95% of all software you can use today is written solely for 32bit computing, so you won't get the performance gain you're looking for.

It's a real shame, because 64bit should in theory be much faster and more efficient.

So when all is said and done, you'll be best off with XP Pro 32bit short term, which you might actually have the installation CD for, from your old system (if it came pre-installed then it won't work Sad).

Vista will be a good option for you in about a year, once all the software companies have patched up their products to run normally in Vista. So far it's not happening too fast, because they're still trying to peddle their latest and "greatest" stuff.

In your shoes, I'd google up whatever you can spot on the internet. All the pros and cons of 32bit, 64bit, XP vs Vista and so on and so forth. Then make up your mind. Don't just jump because somebody here or somewhere else was giving you advice. It's got to be a decision that you're comfortable with in the long run.

Good luck

Newbie96

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 07:28:54 PM »

Thanks.  I want to pick up parts for a fast system so I am starting all over with new parts.  I will mostly be using the rig for gaming other than small stuff.  Would I be better off with dual core or quad core? I am am old AMD user but it seams that they are falling behind. What do you think? Thanks..
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 10:55:02 AM »

Quad core seems to be the next big thing, so if you've got the cash to spare, go for that.

Just make sure you get a very powerful CPU fan, like some of the pretty Zalman Flowers that are on sale in most good computer stores. And also make sure your PSU can handle all of the power you expect to have to use, with something to spare.

Allenue09

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:49:47 PM »

Graphics isnt up to your gaming needs thats for sure.

You need a higher speed hard drive for it

You might want to keep that laptop plugged...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: