MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: IDE and Reboot Problem HELP!!!
August 20, 2019, 05:27:45 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2019, 05:27:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IDE and Reboot Problem HELP!!!  (Read 1100 times)
Nemesis

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2003, 05:20:45 PM »

Hi this is really doing my head in! Please Help!!
I have two cd roms and standard generic 56x cdrom and a plextor 16x cdwriter, now im not actually sure these are the prblem, anyway when my pc reboots in doesnt always detect these cdroms, one minute it will then the next it wont, but when it does everything works fine the cdroms read and write no problem.anyway i disconnected the cdroms and it reboots fine, but the other problem is when i restart the pc it shuts down but never restarts or posts, i have to manually completely switch off and the it may reboot.  Ive flashed the bios and this made no difference. Ive re installed windows xp completely.  I really dont know what to do now. like i said once it does start up everything works no problem, buts its hit  and miss whether the cdroms get detected and it wont restart unless i switch off completely.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 08:05:10 PM »

Hi,

Are the master/slave jumper settings on your cdrom drives/hard drive set correctly?

If there are two devices on a ribbon cable, one needs to be set to master (hard drive) and the other slave (another hard drive or cdrom drive).

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Nemesis

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 10:40:47 PM »

Hi

yes all the settings and jumpers are correct, as i mention even if i just use one cdrom it sometimes doesnt detect, and even if i dont use any my pc wont restart properly, so i guess it something either in bios or the motherboard, but when it does work then it works fine, so im not sure

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2003, 01:12:24 PM »

Hi,

I am assuming you're not overclocking your CPU and that the system fan(s) and CPU fan are spinning, the CPU fan is well seated on the CPU and that the system is dust free including the power supply.

The first thing I would check is the power supply. Sounds like it may be flacky.

If your system is a clone with a standard power supply (AT style for older systems, ATX style for newer systems), you can either purchase one (at a place where they will take it back if the problem persists) or use another one if your already have one. If the power connector from the power supply to the motherboard is one rectangular connector, it is most likely an ATX power supply, if the connector is two seperate connectors side by side, then it is an AT power supply.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Nemesis

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2003, 09:13:35 AM »

Nope that didnt work, tried another psu, so im guessing it must be the mother board perhaps

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 05:09:14 PM »

Hi,

Could very well be the motherboard. Let us know how it turns out!

Sylvain Amyot

Nemesis

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2003, 04:47:21 PM »

you know something i cant believe it i bought a new motherboard the same one and it stillhappened and guess what it was THE NETWORK CARD!!!!! arrrggghhh i cant understand why! anyway put another in and restarts fine!
any ideas?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003, 01:27:40 PM »

Hi,

The defective NIC may have had some resource conflicts which caused this.

I am glad you solved your problem and thank you for updating your thread with your solution! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: