MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: can anyone figure this out pleeeeeeease!
November 17, 2019, 02:35:48 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2019, 02:35:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: can anyone figure this out pleeeeeeease!  (Read 6556 times)
clueless

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2003, 06:20:31 PM »

Sad
i keep getting this ugly msg popping up on my desktop...

<APP_VERO 38446
connection timed out (error # 10060)>

what exactly am i supposed to do with this?Huh??

i'd really appreciate it if someone could help

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 07:47:05 PM »

Hi,

Do you have any external devices attached to your system (e.g. CAM, PDA...)?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
clueless

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 09:32:08 PM »

no, just my printer and my scanner...everything else isnt hooked up now...this thing is driving me crazy...i have like a million pop ups, they come up every 30 seconds

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2003, 12:24:50 PM »

How To Fix The "Error reading from network. Cause: connection timed out (10060)"

The most common casues of this error are:
Incorrect POP or SMTP settings
Slow network connection, or overloaded server
The server you are connecting to is down
To correct the error:
Verify your POP and SMTP settings
Increase the amount of time Eudora will wait before it times out
Go to the TOOLS menu (SPEICAL prior to ver 1.5.4)
Select OPTIONS (SETTINGS prior to ver 1.5.4)
Scroll down till you see ADVANCED NETWORK
Click on ADVANCED NETWORK
Find the setting labeled
NETWORK TIMEOUT AFTER ____ SECONDS
Increase the number of seconds
Click OK
Check with your ISP/System Support and make sure there is not a problem with the server

Question/Problem: Connection timed out.

Answer/Solution: A connect or send request failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time. (The timeout period is dependent on the communication protocol.)

Check the obvious first: check that the destination address is a valid IP address. If you used a hostname, did it resolve to the correct address? If the hostname resolution uses a local host table, it is possible you resolved to an obsolete address. Can you ping that hostname?

Do you have a router configured? Is the router up and running? (You can check by pinging it, and then ping an address on the other side of it.) Try a traceroute to the destination address to check that all the routers are functioning.

Check your subnet mask. If you don't have the proper subnet mask, your network system may treat a local address as a remote address (so it forwards addresses on the local subnet to the router, rather than broadcasting an ARP request locally), or vice versa.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2003, 12:58:02 PM »

Hi,

If you keep getting pop-ups, perhaps you have spyware running on your system. Install one of these free and excellent spyware remover.

Ad-Aware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
Spybot - http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Breezy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 12:05:04 AM »

I'm getting the same erreor mess.  I've installed and ran Ad-Aware to get rid of spyware, but I'm still getting the error mess.  I want to try the other things suggested by rghasenohr, but I'm so computer illiterate that I need more detailed instructions.  

What is "Endora" and where do I go, exactly, on my computer to correct it?

Please excuse my limited computer knowledge and thank you so much for the help!

Breezy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 12:07:42 AM »

BTW, I have a Toshiba Satellite Notebook and I'm using Windows XP.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2003, 04:30:50 PM »

Hi Breezy,

Eudora is a mail program. If you're using something else like Outlook, this doesn't apply to you.

When do you get this pop-up, when opening browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) or another application? Does it happen right away or after doing something specific?

Sylvain Amyot

Breezy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 06:52:57 AM »

Thank you so much for responding to my message!

I do have Outlook, but never use it.

I get the pop-up a few seconds after I log on to aol and it continues until I log off.

Breezy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2003, 12:52:39 AM »

I'm still looking for help with this issue.

Thanks a bunch!:)

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 01:08:13 PM »

Ad-aware version 1.81 has an extra plugin specifically for getting rid of AOL and AIM popups

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

checkit out!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2004, 05:27:04 PM »

Hi,

Is this AOL plugin integrated into Ad-Aware or an extra download?

I could not find where to download, do you have a link?

Sylvain Amyot

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 06:26:17 AM »

I sure there is no AOL plugin as such but more for disabling Messenger which has nothing to do with Windows Messenger. Messenger is responsible for many pop-ups from the net.It can be disabled it in XP by going to ....

Click Start and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Administrative Tools.
Double-click Services.
Double-click Messenger.
In the Startup type list, choose Disabled.
Click Stop, and then click OK.

An Australian Member of

EDDY
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 03:57:09 PM »

Hi Sylvain,

Ad-aware 6.181 has got a new plug-in to eliminate these pop ups

Ad-aware: Messenger Service Plugin

Beginning with Windows NT, Microsoft included the Windows Messenger Service, and it's been built-in to each subsequent version and release of Windows over the past several years. It was originally designed to allow system administrators on client-server networks to send out brief system-wide messages to everyone connected to the network. For the most part, it's never gained much use since there are easier alternatives to sending such messages.

It is being put to use however, by those who know that this Service is turned on by default in all current versions of Windows. If you've been connected to the Internet and suddenly see a window pop-up filled with information about the latest "get-rich-scheme," a college diploma, or low-rate credit cards, you're being spammed courtesy of Windows Messenger Service! Note that these are not browser windows, but resemble Windows Dialog boxes (with "Messenger Service" in the title bar), with the exception that you're generally offered no "options" besides clicking an "OK" button.

Windows Messenger Service is an Internet server that's up and running on your machine, leaving it open to anyone who wants to connect to it when you're online. Unlike annoying browser pop-ups, which only show up if Internet Explorer or another browser is running, spam utilizing Windows Messenger Service can be received no matter what application you mightbe using, as long as you're connected to the Internet.

For the typical user, having Messenger Service running opens an unnecessary "back door" that can compromise system security and which can be shut and locked tight easily. On October 15th of this year, Microsoft released Security Bulletin MS03-043 which outlines potential ways malicious programmers can exploit a flaw in the Messenger Service using buffer overflows to take control of your system. According to Microsoft, "An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could be able to run code with Local System privileges on an affected system, or could cause the Messenger Service to fail. The attacker could then take any action on the system, including installing programs, viewing, changing or deleting data, or creating new accounts with full privileges." At this point, there are no known examples of malware taking advantage of this loophole, but it's almost certain that as this problem becomes more well known, attacks on systems vulnerable to this threat will occur.

Turning off Windows Messenger Service also has the added benefit of freeing up a little extra RAM and CPU cycles. If for no other reason than to shut off spam it's worth the few seconds it takes to turn it off.

Unfortunately, just as there are people ready and willing to exploit system flaws with malevolent intent, there are also those geared-up to sell you a program to take care of the problem. A quick check of any search engine or shareware site will turn up dozens, ranging in price from a few dollars to nearly $30 US. One site that sells the software to generate Messenger spam even tells you how to keep it from affecting your computer!

Although you can do it yourself by wading through some menus and options turning off Windows Messenger Service, using Lavasoft's Messenger-Control plug-in for Ad-aware is a simpler option. All you need to do is download the plug-in. Then extract and run the installation executable, which will put the plug-in in the correct folder. After that you just run Ad-aware, click the "Plug-ins" button, and double click on Messenger-Control. Select "Disable Messenger," and the Service will be shut down. Should you ever need to restore it, follow the same directions and click "Enable Messenger".

If you're using a standalone machine not connected to a LAN, you can generally turn off Windows Messenger Service with no problems, although there are some programs that make legitimate use of the Service. Those connected to a local area network will want to contact their system administrator first just in case they make use of it.

Also, shutting off Windows Messenger Service will have no effect on any of the popular "instant messaging" systems you might be using; they don't rely on Windows Messenger Service (irrespective of its name) to function.

Name:plmessengerctrl.exe

URL:http://lavasoftnews.com/plugins/plmessengerctrl.exe

Size: 372KB

Comment:Ad-aware Messenger Service Plugin

« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 01:56:04 PM by rghasenohr » Logged

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2004, 04:03:05 PM »

Smiley
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 04:25:18 PM by rghasenohr » Logged