MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Mysterious computer problems - Boot failure
June 07, 2020, 08:08:13 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2020, 08:08:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mysterious computer problems - Boot failure  (Read 866 times)
spawn510

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:03:55 PM »

I'm not that great with computers, but I have worked with them (and enjoyed dismantling my computer) for over 13 years.

I have a computer in my office, it stopped working. We tried cleaning it, didn't work. It goes through the BIOS, then stops working when it tries accessing the hard drive. So if there's a CD in the rom, it'll ask to press a button to boot from CD. If I don't press anything, then it stops working.

This is the strangest part: If I swap the hard drive from my computer to another, both computer work. Both go into windows without giving any errors.
That hard drive in that computer doesn't work. Any other combination works.

I've tried resetting the master boot, and the computer only has Windows XP on it.

If there was something wrong with the hard drive, it would not boot if placed in another tower. If there was something wrong with the tower, putting another hard drive in it shoudn't work.

The only thing that I can think of is that the hard drive recognises the hardware somehow.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks a lot.
spawn510

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 06:07:43 PM »

Forgot to mention something:

Windows XP SP 2 version 2002
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB Ram
Western Digital 80 GB drive (SATA)
Onboard video card
No sound card
CD-rom only

Was working two days ago
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:56:26 PM »

I was going to suggest that maybe your harddrive was on it's way to hardware hell, but obviously that's not the case.

How old is your Windows installation on that harddrive+mobo+all the rest?

Did you install the motherboard drivers, chipset drivers, etc?

What about the SATA support installation?

spawn510

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 04:29:18 PM »

The windows installation is about 1-1/2 year old, with all of the windows updates. Since then none of the hardware has changed.

The motherboard drivers and so on were not installed, and since I can't get in windows, I don't think that'll be possible.

SATA support installation was not installed. Is there any way of doing it without going into Windows?

Thanks a lot!.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 08:34:34 PM »

You should be able to get SATA drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website, since it's their standards that have to be adhered to.

The drivers must be loaded onto a floppy disk and basically you might need to do repair installation of Windows, with the SATA drivers from the manufacturer preferred over the native ones in Windows. Have you tried that option at all previously? A repair install of XP? Try that before doing anything else, as it might be a communications error between OS and hardware.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: