MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: windows was unable to complete the format - vista
June 06, 2020, 10:03:38 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2020, 10:03:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: windows was unable to complete the format - vista  (Read 1015 times)
Bobhatesyou

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2008, 04:37:35 AM »

i have recently installed vista on my computer and bought an other internal harddrive. so i installed vista on my 160GB drive i had before, and very easily formated my new 500GB harddrive. Now my external is 250GB but it was using FAT32 and was almost full (hence the reason i bought the new internal drive). So i copied all my data from my external to my new internal. I then attemped to format my external drive using the vista disk management program. I have tried but quick format and just normal format to get it to the NTFS but both times after a while, when it is almost done a msg pops up saying "windows was unable to complete the format".
i went to the microsoft website and downloaded the hotfix and tried the quick format again but this msg still came up.
Does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks
Bobhatesyou

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 04:43:12 AM »

I hope i posted this in the right area
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 09:22:52 AM »

The built in format in Windows is quite bad, to be honest. It usually doesn't want to behave as it should.

Some external drives want FAT32 until you've released them from their housing and converted them into internal drives, since most of the externals are only your usual SATA drives, changed into USB powered boxes.

Try formatting it as FAT32 and see if that works properly.

Then, if you wish to do so, break open the housing and take the drive out of the control box. Then insert it in your case, with your other drives. If you don't trust yourself to take such drastic actions, leave it as is.

Just know that if the drive fails on you somehow, that's the only option you'll have anyway. The drive itself isn't dead, it's the control box.

Bobhatesyou

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 02:02:06 AM »

Windows disk management only lets me format in NTFS, is there any way I can put FAT32 on the external?
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 03:31:48 PM »

Sounds like you need to get your hands on a Linux LiveCD, such as Knoppix, then. It can be obtained from Knopper.net and I'm linking you to the English part of the site.

What you do is you boot up the computer from the CD, which is a standalone operating system. It won't affect your main harddrive, since it's going to be all memory resisdent.

You should be able to plug your external drive into the USB port and have it instantly recognised by Knoppix.
Then you need to use the disk manager in Knoppix to delete all partitions on the drive, then create a new partition and put FAT32 on it afterwards.

I don't see any other way around it, since a Win98SE boot floppy won't recognise the external drive. If you can stumble onto a better way around this problem, please let me know.

Windows Vista is a right troublemaker, when it comes to userfriendliness. Personally I'll never make the switch to it. I'll rather stick with XP, even if I've only just taken up using it. Win2k was for me a much superior OS and you had more control over your computer, rather than in the later incarnations.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: