MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: CD/DVD won't record
June 07, 2020, 08:13:36 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2020, 08:13:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD/DVD won't record  (Read 1049 times)
dogwalker

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »

CD/DVD won't record

The CD/DVD-ROM worked fine until recently. Now it refuses to record and gives this message: "There is no disc in the drive. Please insert a writable CD into drive." The "Recording" tab and registry entry are correct as described here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529/
The Device Manager has no warnings. Only the native Windows burning facility has ever been used. The only deliberate changes to the system have been MS critical updates, software upgrades (avast, Firefox, Flash, Java, Picasa, QuickTime), and the removal of some foistware via Add/Remove, including Roxio.

This is not my PC, and I only have access to it once a week. Any suggestions for tests, Web references, etc., that I can carry with me will be gratefully received.

---

Dell Dimension, 2 years old
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz
512MB
BIOS: DELL - 8 Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A01
DVD/CD-ROM: SONY CDRWDVD CRX310EE
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 03:40:30 PM »

You could try downloading the trial version of Nero and see if it can recognise the drive as a burner.

Also try opening the case, disconnect both the IDE cable and the power cable from the drive and reconnect them. Then do the same with the IDE cable on the motherboard.

You could also get your hands on a cleaning CD and use it to clean the lenses of both reader and burner. I believe the cleansing liquid comes with the cleaning CD, but I could be wrong there.

If all of the methods come up short, then maybe a repair of Windows is in order, but that would ensure that you'd have to reinstall all critical updates to date, but sometimes that's the only option.

Should that option also turn out dead in the water, then it seems that the burning feature of the drive may be broken. There you have two options, either replace it with a new burner, or have it repaired. I leave it up to you and the owner what is best suited.

dogwalker

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 06:09:12 PM »

Thanks. An alternate burner program was next on my to-do list, but I hadn't thought of cables or cleaning. Thanks, really.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 06:11:56 PM by dogwalker » Logged
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 06:23:22 PM »

I hope it comes off for you.

Good luck

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: