MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Cloning my hard drives
July 04, 2020, 05:27:58 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2020, 05:27:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cloning my hard drives  (Read 874 times)
Vmark

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2008, 07:17:27 PM »

I have two hard drives in my computer(one 40G and one 80G). I would like to clone these drives onto a 250G external hard drive. My problem is that any backup or cloning program will not let me back up two hard drives onto one. They they will not back up two drives at once and if you try to back up one at a time they want to erase whatever is on the target drive befor they backup another.  Anyon have any suggestions please??
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 10:31:29 PM »

Hello and Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca

Think about it, you cannot have 2 devices that are bootable and try to make an exact image of them as one. What you need to do is copy your important information off one of them, clone the other and put your copied info on the cloned drive. Then you will have 1 bootable drive with all  your info on it.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 12:42:15 AM »

Sorry, I should have explained it better. Of the two drives i want to copy, only one is bootable. I want to be able to put the contents of both drives on one large drive  with two partitions and seperate drive leters for each one. In other words, I want the same as I have now only I want it on one drive instead of two.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 07:42:18 PM »

Still your best option is to use the cloning option to put the files from your OS drive onto the first partition on the big drive. Then just do a manual copy/paste job for the rest onto the second partition. Direct cloning would probably crash the drive, though I can't be completely sure, having never tried this method

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: