MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Trouble with Windows install disk
March 30, 2020, 10:47:42 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 30, 2020, 10:47:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trouble with Windows install disk  (Read 1302 times)
Grizzly81

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2008, 02:08:09 AM »

I started to reinstall Windows 98se on a dell computer I just got and I don't have the commands I need to get it to install,  It goes through a process and then comes up with A:/ and stops there.  I was told there would be 2 drive readings like that the other R:/ So basicly I just need the right commands to finish installation.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 07:52:05 PM »

What did you use to install Win98SE? Did you install from a CD or from a boot diskette?

Grizzly81

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:49:53 AM »

I used a install cd and, well you already know the rest
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:46:56 AM »

The usual default CD drive letter is D, so once you've got the setup going to the point where you get the flashing cursor after A:/ then you need to do the following:

1. Type in D:         (make sure you put the colon in there, to swap drives) And hit Enter
2. Now type Dir/p     (forces the contents of the drive to pause, if there are more files and folders than your monitor can handle on one page) {Enter}
3. If you see a file there called Setup.exe, then press the Spacebar, to finish the page scroll and get your cursor back.
4. Now type Setup.exe and hit Enter. This should get the Setup process going properly and you can use your mouse to navigate, once the process requires it.

If you need more help, come back and tell me where you've hit a snag. I'll try my best to help sort you out.

Good luck

Grizzly81

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 08:31:46 PM »

I typed in D: and it comes back "invalid drive specification" I also tryed going ahead and put in Dir/p and it gives me a list of 17 files with what I think is the amount of bytes it takes up and last time it was updated, then says press any key to continue I press a key and it says (continue A:\).  is there any other commands that might help me get this computer back up and running. thanks for you time and help.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 09:24:13 AM »

Looks like the DOS shell doesn't recognise the CD drive by default. But to be absolutely sure, try changing the drive letter to any letter in the alphabet and see if you find any working drives, aside from the A: drive.

Then post back and let me know what gives.

Good luck Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: