MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Here is a tough one!
July 04, 2020, 05:40:02 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2020, 05:40:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here is a tough one!  (Read 841 times)
TimC

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2008, 02:25:55 AM »

Hello and thanks to anyone who takes the time to help,

I have been working on this one for about 14 hours now...

My computer randomly shuts itself off as if someone has pulled the power cord out of the wall.

I am running an:
AMD Athlon 64 dual core 5600 processor x2
MSI KL9 Platinum mobo, w/ Nvidia chipset
Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT
2GB DDR2 Ram
Windows XP
600W power supply.

It randomly shuts off when Windows runs in normal mode. I have run it in safe mode for hours without any problems, it only does this in normal mode.

I have tried the following:

Running Trend online virus scan repeatedly - no viruses/malware found.
Dusted out the entire case and all components.
Replaced the power supply today.
Monitored Voltage and CPU heat at the bios, everything seems normal, CPU hovers between 32-40 degrees depending on length of use in safe mode (w/ networking enabled), Case heat remains at 30 degrees.
Left the case wide open, nice cool breeze, all fans are running properly.
I have updated every driver for all software with exception of the BIOS.
I have individually ran each RAM stick (2 of them) to eliminate a bad stick.
I have cleaned the registry repeatedly with RegCure.
I have switched the power over to the outlet instead of the surge protector to eliminate that as a possibility.
I have reinstalled windows without formatting the hard drive.
I have eliminated every startup program that was not necessary to windows operating (that I know of).
All fans are operating just fine, including CPU fan. Heat sink is clear of all debris.
None of the capacitors on the mobo are burned or leaking, everything looks healthy.
I have another computer running upstairs (that I am typing this on) that is 3 years older and is running like a charm. Noone else is home and running anything at the time of crashes.
The computer has been working fine for the last 4 months in the exact same position it's in right now. Never had a problem with it before, it's only a year and a half old.

This all started within the last 5-6 days. The only thing I changed on my computer was downloading the latest patch for world of warcraft and downloading shaw secure. I have since removed shaw secure from the program list completely.

I'm at a total loss, I have tried every suggestion I could think of. Please if anyone could just take a moment to wrack their brain and come up with something I would be so grateful.

Thank you,
Tim
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 07:54:43 PM »

Have you gone into Windows Power settings and checked if it's set to shut itself off after a certain amount of time?

Sometimes it's the silly little things that are the hardest to spot, so I reckon this is as good a place to start checking as any.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: