MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: CPU not communicating with monitor...BIOS issue??
July 04, 2020, 06:07:24 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2020, 06:07:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CPU not communicating with monitor...BIOS issue??  (Read 1635 times)
Lungfixer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2008, 04:40:34 AM »

Recently I've been having trouble getting my monitor out of "sleep" (power save) mode at start up. Usually all I have to do is move the mouse and it turns on, but over the last few days I've had to power it off and on again to get it to recognize the CPU, then I had to re-boot the CPU several times while powering the monitor off and on...and now the monitor will not come out of power save mode at all. Its as if its not recognizing the CPU at all.

At first I thought it was my monitor since my entire CPU system is only six months old:

Self-assembled using ASUS P5K Deluxe WiFi mobo, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4MHz proc, 4GB Corsair XMS DDR2 PC8500 memory, MSI nVidia NX8600GTS-OC graphics card, and six 250GB Maxtor DiamondMax hard drives (two in "RAID 0" for OS and apps, four in "RAID 1+0" for file storage)

Monitor is a 22" NEC MultiSync FP2141SB CRT

but I connected my daughter's LCD monitor and it would not recognize the CPU either. I even replaced the video cable, but again...nothing.  I unplugged my video card from the mobo, examined it (it appears to be functioning) and re-installed it, but that did nothing. I attempted to install it in the second PCI-E slot, but the MSI NX8600GTS has a two-slot cooling fan, and it wouldn't fit where the 2nd PCI-E slot is located...so I purchased a new (lower profile) PCI-E graphics card and tried it in both PCI-E slots...still no change.  I examined the mobo for anything obvious (broken capacitors, etc), but it looks perfect...plus, my case temps are always LOW (I run more fans than components), I don't overclock and I use a high-end UPS / power conditioner.

I assumed this must be a BIOS issue, so I decided to clear the RTC memory by removing the CMOS battery and moving the jumper cap, but that did NOT work.  Its weird...I get no error beeps from the mobo, and the tower LED lights all seem to be blinking the same as before, but I think something is preventing my BIOS from posting. I tried disconnecting the internal components one-by-one (hard drives, RAM, etc), rebooting in-between, until the only two things left connected to the mobo were the power supply and the monitor...but nothing changed.

One thing I was wondering...could the CMOS battery be dead? The ASUS P5K Deluxe requires the following to clear the RTC memory;

"Unplug power cord, remove the battery, then move the jumper cap from the 1-2 position to the 2-3 position (leaving cap on for 5-10 seconds). Move jumper cap back, re-install battery and reboot."

I followed the instructions to the letter, but when nothing changed I wanted to see if moving the jumper cap alone would do the trick...so I moved it to the 2-3 position and tried to re-boot the CPU, but it wouldn't even power on. I returned the jumper cap to the 1-2 position and then removed the battery and rebooted...and it powered on the same as if it were still in place. It made me wonder if the battery might be dead?

Is there ANYTHING other than the BIOS that would prevent the CPU from activating the monitor??  If not, I'm left with only one option...my six-month-old mobo is TOAST!!  What the heck could have happened?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 04:43:23 AM by Lungfixer » Logged
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 04:45:58 PM »

It's entirely possible that your mobo may have been damaged during shipping. And it could have been any sort of shipping, from manufacturer to vendor, from vendor to your place. Even something minor could have caused this. But to start somewhere, get a new CMOS battery and put that in, if only to see if it makes any difference. It's the cheapest thing to do as a starting point.

Next, see if you can borrow an old CRT monitor, the old tube job. If that one doesn't work either, then it seems that the motherboard is just about dead in the water.

You didn't mention the kind of PSU you have or what wattage.  My main concern is that the mobo is fried, but let's examine all other venues first. Even if we have to do a double take on some issues.

Good luck

Lungfixer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:01:34 PM »

Went to FRY'S Electronics to purchase a new mobo, but one of the sales guys asked if I checked the memory and memory slots first.  I told them that I removed all the memory and it didn't help, but he told me that I needed to leave at least ONE module in place or the monitor will not work (how little did I know).

I re-tested the memory again, this time removing the modules one at a time.  Sure enough, it was a bad stick of ram that was causing the problem. Luckily, Corsair offers a lifetime warranty...and since I purchased it at FRY'S, they replaced it for free!!

Thanks for the advice...I appreciate it.

P.S.  PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower 650W...not that it matters now, but I thought it rude not to answer your question. Wink
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 08:03:57 PM by Lungfixer » Logged
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 10:30:11 PM »

I must admit that you got me a bit foiled with the mentioning of taking out both RAM sticks, as I understood it as you had tested the machine with only one active at a time. How presumptuous of me Wink

I'm very happy that you got it resolved in the cheapest possible way, I never like having to recommend that people need to buy something to fix their problems. Fortunately that doesn't happen often. So congrats, hope it behaves from now on Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: