MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: cd problems - drive not accessible
September 15, 2019, 05:24:32 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 15, 2019, 05:24:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: cd problems - drive not accessible  (Read 1171 times)
deeess

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2003, 12:21:33 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages: d:\ not accessible

Hi - my trusty PC has started to annoy me.  Unfortunately I know nothing about PCs and am having trouble fixing it.

Basically when I try and access my CD (the D drive) I get a message saying 'D:\ not accessible' or some such.  This happens on any CD.

The tray still opens and closes.  The internal leads are correctly connected.  When I looked at the device manager it said the CD was working properly.  I have now run out of ideas.  Can you help?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 04:53:00 PM »

Hi,

1. To rules out a software problem, create an Win98 Startup disk and reboot with it.
2. Select "..with cdrom support" option.
3. Take note what drive letter MSCDEX assigned to the cdrom drive (near the end of the drivers loading)
4. Type 'dir X:' <ENTER> (no quotes) Where X: is the assigned drive letter found in step above.

If you did not add new hardware since this problem started and the error persists, it is most likely a defective cdrom drive.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 03:45:14 PM »

Note that Windows 9x uses a built-in CDFS driver that takes the place of MSCDEX. It is configured
through the Windows 9x Registry and requires no AUTOEXEC.BAT command. USB-based CD-ROM/
CD-R/CD-RW drives are also configured through the Windows 9x Registry and use no CONFIG.SYS or
AUTOEXEC.BAT commands.
CD-ROM Support in Windows 9x and Windows NT 4.0
As stated earlier, Windows 9x/Me and Windows NT/2000 include virtually all the drivers you will
need to run your optical drive, making the software installation automatic. Windows automatically
recognizes most ATAPIIDE earlier, Windows 9x/Me and Windows NT/2000 include virtually all the
drivers you will need to run your optical drive, making the software installation automatic. Windows
automatically recognizes most ATAPI drives, and with the addition of the appropriate drive-specific
ASPI driver, most SCSI drives as well.
There are several new capabilities with CDs and DVDs in Windows 9x/NT. The most dramatic is the
Autoplay feature, which is available on Windows 95/98 and some versions of Windows NT 4.0.
Autoplay is a feature integrated into Windows 9x that enables you to simply insert a disc into the
drive, and Windows will automatically run it without any user intervention. It also detects whether
that particular disc has already been installed on your system, and if not, automatically starts the
install program. If the disc has already been installed, it starts the application program on the disc.
The Autoplay feature is simple. When you insert a disc, Windows 9x automatically spins it and looks
for a file called AUTORUN.INF. If this file exists, Windows 9x opens it and follows the instructions contained
within. As you can see, this Autoplay feature works only on discs that have this file. Most software
companies are now shipping CD-ROM and DVD-ROM titles that incorporate the Autoplay
feature.

Tip
You can disable the Autoplay feature for all CD-ROMs by opening the Windows 9x System control panel to the Device
Manager page, highlighting your CD-ROM drive, and clicking the Properties button. The Properties dialog box for the
drive has a Settings page that contains an Auto Insert Notification check box. Clearing this box prevents the operating
system from processing the AUTORUN.INF file.
If you want to use Autoplay for some CDs, but not others, hold down the Shift key when inserting a CD you don
« Last Edit: May 01, 2003, 03:51:26 PM by rghasenohr » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: