MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Random Restarts!
March 30, 2020, 10:15:59 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 30, 2020, 10:15:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Restarts!  (Read 1132 times)
exolstice

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2008, 02:02:53 PM »

I built a computer about two weeks ago, and I haven't been able to get it running for more than 30 minutes (usually a lot less) without a random restart.

Here's my configuration:

Windows XP Professional SP2
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8400 3.00G/1333/6M/S775
S775 ASUS P5K GREEN P35 PCIE
CRUCIAL 800MHZ DDR2 2048MB BALLISTIX KIT
SAPPHIRE PCIE RAD HD2600XT DDR3 512M
CASE ATX ANTEC NSK4480B BLK 380W
320.0 SEAGATE 7200.10 16M ST3320620A
DVD+/-RW LG GSAH55N DL 20/20/+10
Floppy Drive

Peripherals:

USB Mouse
USB Keyboard
Front/Rear Speakers plugged into onboard Sound
Internet cable plugged into onboard Ethernet.

When I first built the system, it ran long enough to install windows, install drivers, etc. I turned it off at the end of the day. The next morning it kept restarting without ever reaching windows.

I tried combinations of the following:
- Reset CMOS
- Unplug all but necessary components
- RAM sticks one at a time in all different slots
- Swapped PSU for a no-name 500W

None of this had any effect whatsoever, so I assumed the board was defective. Exchanged the board for a new one of the same model, and the same situation as above repeated. The computer ran once without problems, but once I turned it off, it wouldn't post anymore the next time I tried turning it on.

Brought the whole thing back to the store for testing. They swapped out the motherboard again and ran some stress tests. I took it back home. Within ten minutes of turning it on, restart. At this point, it always posted, but it would randomly restart. Sometimes in windows, sometimes during bootup, sometimes while looking at settings in the BIOS. It even restarted while running Memtest. So I took the computer back to the store the same day (last Sunday).

Yesterday, I get a call explaining that the computer has been running since I brought it in. They ran many stress tests over a period of 24 hours. When I picked up the computer yesterday, it was running 3DMark without any problems. Satisfied, I brought it back home, plugged it in and it worked for maybe 30 minutes before the random restarts started occurring again. After that, the computer wouldn't run stably for more than 10 minutes at a time, sometimes less.

I've since tried plugging the computer in with or without the power bar, in various outlets in my apartment, with or without the monitor, with or without the USB keyboard. Invariably the computer always restarts no matter what I try.

I disabled the System Failure > Automatic restart checkbox, but I never get a message when the computer restarts. According to the Asus Probe software the CPU and MB never get above 35C before restarting, which should rule out overheating. Fans seem to be operating normally as well.

Next I tried swapping the PSU out for an Antec Power Trio 550W. At first this seemed to work, but after an hour, the computer was up to its old tricks again. I was running 3DMark when it restarted. The next morning I was able to turn it on and surf the web, but as soon as I tried anything which was resource-intensive, it restarted, and got stuck in a restart loop, often not even posting before restarting again. The only thing I can say is that this more powerful PSU definitely lets me use the computer for longer than the weaker one, but it's still not stable.

I am all out of ideas.

Thanks!
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 03:58:42 PM »

Since the store "claims" the system ran 24 hrs without restarting, I would suspect the problem is with a peripheral you didn't bring to the store or the power in your apartment.

I would try bringing the system to a friends house to see if the problem persists. If the problem goes away, then buy a UPS or similar device.

If the problem persists, I would look at the cpu, memory and video card (if not integrated) since you already replaced the motherboard and power supply. If any of these are under warranty and have not yet been replaced, get them replaced... If I had to guess, I would say the problem is the CPU.

Good luck!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 05:55:15 PM »

I would even go as far as changing the power cord....seems strange but you need to eliminate what has not been swapped out yet.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 01:43:07 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, believe it or not, I tried all of those, including a UPS with AVR. Computer still restarted, even with all different peripherals, but only at home. It's a real mystery to me. In any case, the store has agreed to refund me the parts, and build me a whole new system from scratch using all different parts.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 04:56:23 PM »

Hope that solve it for you!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: