MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: ME to XP--how to do it??
November 13, 2019, 11:52:31 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 11:52:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ME to XP--how to do it??  (Read 961 times)
Hitthebig40

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2008, 01:39:41 AM »

I am new to these forums, so I hope I am posting in the appropriate place!

Last January, I purchased a new computer.  It came with Windows XP, but within 4-5 weeks I received the upgrade to Vista.  I am now using the Vista, but still have all the disks for the XP system.  My question is this:  I have an older computer that I bought in 2000.  It is running Windows ME.  I am wondering if I can take the XP that originally came with my new system, and put it on the old computer?  This older computer would only be used for email or internet purposes.  If I can uninstall the ME and reinstall the XP, what would I need to do?  Does anyone have a link to some instructions on how to go about installing the new XP on the old computer?  All I have on the old computer now, that I would want to keep, would be old photos from my camera, but I can easily put them onto a CD, and then wipe them off.

PS.  I am not at all a computer-literate person, so easy instructions would be best!  Thanks so much for any help you can offer! Laugh

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:22:21 AM »

Before you go ahead with it, could you please inform me as to the hardware specifications of your machine?

CPU speed, how much memory, gfx card etc.

If the system is too slow or lacking in any areas, you may be better off with ME on the machine.

Hitthebig40

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 05:34:54 PM »

Okay, it is a Dell computer, so it was fairly easy to plunk in the service tag and code numbers and find the info.  Not as sure how to do it on the computer!  Although, after looking at the info, I'm scared that the computer system won't be big enough to handle XP!  here goes:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU at 1.3 GHz
128 RAM
20 GB hard drive
32 MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS
Creative SB Live!

Is there anything else that you need to know?

My whole reason for wanting to upgrade is this:  got a new modem from Bell.  used the CD that came with it, and our new computer accessed the internet no problems!  However, the older ME computer wasn't as lucky.  When I use the install CD, it wants to use the USB connection for the internet.  It won't let me override the installation and install the driver for the ethernet connection.  That won't work, as the new computer is connected to a D-Link router, through ethernet, and on to the modem.  So, I am going to have to get the old ME computer working through the ethernet and router.  Problem is...........everything worked fine before the new modem was installed.  Both computers were connected to the router, and everything worked fine.  New modem, now problems.  So, my thought was, upgrade old computer, then reconnect so we have both computers up and running with internet access.  Any advice??
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 05:41:33 PM by Hitthebig40 » Logged
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 11:43:32 AM »

You shouldn't even have to install the modem drivers for the old machine. All it needs is the Ethernet drivers working properly in the first place.

The machine should be able to run XP, but it will cost you the contents of the harddrive.

So if you're adamant about installing XP on it, do the following.

Insert your XP CD in the CD tray and boot from it.
When you get the option to install or upgrade or whatever, choose a clean install.
Then you get the option to choose which partition you want to use, showing you the current setup of the HDD.

Select that partition and select the Delete Partition option (note that this will kill all information on the drive)
Then create a new partition, use the default settings for that and then select the file system, my recommendation is stick to FAT32, as NTFS won't let you gain anything on this rig.

Then install the OS as per usual.

When the OS installation has finished, make sure you install all your drivers next. Motherboard drivers, Chipset drivers, soundcard drivers, graphics card drivers etc.

When that's finished, you can go for the modem installation bit.

Just remember, you shouldn't really have to go through all this trouble, since the router will hide the computers from the modem, which will think all computers coming through the connection on the inside, are one and the same.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: