MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: re-installing windows 98se
December 14, 2019, 06:41:02 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 14, 2019, 06:41:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: re-installing windows 98se  (Read 942 times)
toothache

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:48:27 PM »

I have had some driver problems as mentioned before in this forum with my windows operating system so have decided a new install is needed. Problem,i can't find my windows 98se disc anywhere so i am thinking of buying a new one,complete with cd,floppy and product key and using this.

Question/s: Would there be any forseable problems with installing a different disc (all-be-it the same system 98se)over the existing one? Will i lose programs already installed on the pc,like my norton ect or would the install be clean and therefore a cracking idea?

Thanks for any input.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 08:55:41 PM by toothache » Logged

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 08:16:43 AM »

The new install should be completely clean, since the registry would be overwritten. I also recommend that you format the harddrive prior to installing the fresh version, so make sure you back everything up, if you possibly can.

And I also recommend ditching Norton completely and use something that actually works, when it comes to protecting your computer, something like AntiVir from http://www.avira.com (they have a free version) and a free firewall, of which there are quite a few available. You could search for them on Google, but I already spotted one for you that's got good documentation to go with it, and it's called Comodo Free Firewall

Norton is just a resource hog that will choke down your computer, making it next to impossible for you to do any other real work on it. Try the other options I mentioned and you'll see a great difference in performance Smiley

toothache

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 01:07:32 PM »

Ok the pc has been untouched for a while and on booting i got the message 'you must install windows' and then an 'ok' box (just before desktop completes) which when clicked goes nowhere,the thing just stops. So i tried again,this time with the 98se disc (which i eventually found) in the drive but it's the same,the pc boots up just as before ending up back at the message prompt. I thought the re-install of windows with the disc would be pretty straightforward but it seems i could do with some help. Is there a way i can force the pc to boot from the disc on startup,from bios or something. Bit stuck. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:28:19 AM by toothache » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: