MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Wireless card or wirelss adapter
December 08, 2019, 06:36:20 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 08, 2019, 06:36:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wireless card or wirelss adapter  (Read 1306 times)
D1V3R

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2008, 09:50:02 PM »

I recently purchased a new computer and I would like to set up a wireless network with my old computer. I'm not sure which is the best way to achieve this; neither computer has a wireless device installed. The two computers are in different locations in my home so connecting them via a cable isn't possible. I don't know whether it would be best to have wireless cards installed or to use wireless usb adapters. My old computer has a very minimal RAM memory, I'm concerned that this might prevent the wireless connection from working properly or may even slow down my new computer.  The new computer is running Microsoft Vista and the old computer is running Microsoft XP. My new computer is a Dell XPS 420 with Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz with 3326 MB RAM memory. My old computer is a Dell Dimension 8200 with, I believe, a 256MB RAM memory. I have already purchased a wireless router/modem (2Wire).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 09:59:56 PM by D1V3R » Logged
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 07:51:17 AM »

Go for Wireless expansion cards, to go with a wireless router. The router will keep the signal alive around the clock and the computers can use the signal to connect to each other that way. That's basically the only viable option, looking at the way you describe your setup.

D1V3R

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 06:06:37 PM »

Go for Wireless expansion cards, to go with a wireless router. The router will keep the signal alive around the clock and the computers can use the signal to connect to each other that way. That's basically the only viable option, looking at the way you describe your setup.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the information. So you feel that the wireless expansion card would be best, is this mainly because the Dell Dimension has minimal memory? It would be easier to use USB adapters, but perhaps this would just create connection problems.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »

USB adapters are probably easier to install, but they are also less reliable when it comes to holding the signal. With an expansion card you're also fitted with a couple of antennas, which you can try to place strategically to obtain the best possible signal.
If you find you have problems maintaining a signal, it's probably because there's so much interference between the router and the antenna. So access points might be needed in strategic places, to help keep the signal alive and strong for as long as possible.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: