MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: Losing ability to resolve DNS
December 09, 2019, 08:17:01 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 09, 2019, 08:17:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Losing ability to resolve DNS  (Read 1143 times)
Jen3008

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2008, 09:50:58 AM »

My laptop has been having problems connecting to the internet recently.  Occasionally when I am up and running it will lose the ability to resolve the DNS or gateway but more often this happens after awaking from hibernation.  This didn't used to be a problem and only started occuring in the last few weeks.
A complete shutdown and restart solves this and then it tends to work no problem but it is very frustrating having to restart everytime I want to connect.

Please help

I run Windows XP home edition and Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12  I also have IE6 installed but tend not to use it.
I have AVG and Zonealarm on the laptop and both are updated, I haven't added any new software recently but have moved from a USB wireless dongle to the onboard one.  ( I was with Orange and it wouldn't let the onboard card connect for some reason)

I know you will need more info but am a bit new to this, so please let me know what you need and how to get the info for you.

Thanks
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 09:05:44 AM »

This seems to be a reoccurring trend in wireless connections, which is something to be alarmed about. My solution would be this:

If you plan to use the computer again in less than 2 hours, leave it active, without allowing it to hibernate. From my experience the hibernation settings tend to get corrupted after a while, even if nothing has been amiss until it hits you square in the face.

If you plan not to use the computer for longer than 2 hours, then shut it down completely, like overnight. It only takes 1 more minute to boot up anyway, so you can spend that one extra minute doing other things, you'd normally do on the run, in less stressful manner.

Hibernation usually only works properly while the computer is new or with a completely fresh installation of Windows. Then it starts to deteriorate very rapidly until it's unusable.

Good luck

Jen3008

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 09:36:33 PM »

Thanks for that redaxe

I have been trying that but if anything the problem is getting worse.  I frequently lose the ability to resolve the DNS while I am online ( not in hibernate mode) and sometimes a restart does not solve this it can involve several restarts before it works again.

Also restarting my laptop seems to take an age up to about 10 minutes or even longer on a bad day.  I don't have that much on it and try not to have many things running in the background.

This is getting quite frustrating now and any help would be appreciated
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: