MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: My computer beeps when I click icons on my desktop.
September 22, 2019, 05:21:25 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2019, 05:21:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My computer beeps when I click icons on my desktop.  (Read 3413 times)
CogNoman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2008, 07:33:30 AM »

Hi folks,

I've searched the internet and I've searched this forum, but I haven't been able to find a solution for my problem. So, I'm very sorry, but may I ask for whatever help/advice you can offer?

Things you might need to know: I'm using Windows Vista, and my sound card is a "Realtek High Definition Audio" card.

My problem is this:

Whenever I click any icon on my desktop, my computer "beeps". This beep doesn't come through the speakers - it comes from the actual computer itself.
The beep also occurs when I click on items in my Start Menu (like "Control Panel", "Computer", etc.)...and it also occurs when I click on items inside those sections (i.e., folders in My Computer, icons in the Control Panel).
The beep doesn't occur when I click on things on the internet, or when I click on things inside programs (there are no beeps when I run Photoshop) or even when I click on my Start Menu icon (to open up the Start Menu).

The story:
This all started when I began searching for a program that could record the audio that was coming out of my speakers.

I first came across a  program called SoundCapture: http://www.download.com/SoundCapture/3000-2168_4-10079089.html?part=winmp&subj=dl&tag=feed&jump=winmp
I installed it, but it didn't work, so I uninstalled it. I didn't notice any problems after the uninstall...I'm just mentioning this just in case...because that program did seem to be a little suspect (spelling errors in the documentation, etc.).

I then came across a program called Total Recorder: http://totalrecorder.com/downloads.htm
I downloaded it, but couldn't figure out how to work it, so I uninstalled that one too. It was right after that uninstall that I then noticed my computer making the beeps. So I rebooted the computer...and when it started back up, it was still making beeps.

So. Since then, I have figured out a way to 'silence' the beeps: I just go in to Control Panel/Sound/Sounds, and choose "No Sounds" as my Sound Scheme.
This silences the beeps...along with every other Windows sound on my computer (it only silences the Windows sounds, though - I can still listen to music). So...it works, but...it's obviously not a real solution. Because as soon as I re-activate the sounds, my computer starts making the beeps again....which I assume means the computer has some sort of problem.

So there you have it. That's my problem. If you are able to help me, then I would be a very happy person indeed, and if you are not able to, no worries. I shall continue my quest to solve this nuisance and I'll let you all know when I find a solution.
Thank you very much.

Cognomania. The webcomic for strange people.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 07:46:20 AM »

Personally I run my computer without any Windows sounds. The reason for that is I hate the bugging things. But you should be able to go into the sound scheme options and select the exact sounds you want the computer to beep on, such as logging on/off or something along those lines.

You're wrong in the thought that turning off the sounds isn't a solution though. For me it would seem the perfect solution. All the annoying stuff away with the click of a mouse. But if you want to keep hold of the sounds, then you should be able to pick and choose whatever you want to be heard. Trial and error is the way to go here.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: