MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: what is a good anti-virus program for my new computer?
November 20, 2019, 06:56:55 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2019, 06:56:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what is a good anti-virus program for my new computer?  (Read 1424 times)
ktyure

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2008, 12:16:08 AM »

I just bought a new computer and wanted to know which anti-virus program i should invest in? I want a good anti-virus program that isn't a memory hog. Is trendmicro any good?

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »

Its a wide choice...

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/124475-1/article.html
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 12:27:22 AM by Pancake » Logged

An Australian Member of

EDDY
kyo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 03:47:14 AM »

EDIT:* (I've found the answers to my previous questions)

AVG 8.0 is a good anti-virus that now includes spyware protection as well. If you install it and read the privacy agreement, there will be a mention about the AVG Toolbar and its privacy terms. The section is as follows:

Privacy.

i. You acknowledge that AVG Technologies collects certain information regarding the users of the Software, including certain personally identifiable information. You hereby consent to AVG Technologies' collection and use of such information, and agree that AVG Technologies' collection and use of such information will be governed by AVG Technologies' Privacy Policy, currently published at www.avg.com, as AVG Technologies may revise the same from time to time.

ii. BY PROCEEDING TO INSTALL THE TOOLBAR, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND ACCEPT THAT, UPON ITS INSTALLATION, THE TOOLBAR WILL MODIFY VIA THE SETTINGS OF YOUR BROWSER THE "DNS ERROR PAGE" AND "ERROR 404 PAGE". FURTHERMORE, ONCE INSTALLED, THE TOOLBAR MAY
COMMUNICATE CERTAIN BASIC USAGE INFORMATION TO VISICOM MEDIA INC. VIA ("APPLICATIONSTAT.COM") TO HELP VISICOM COMPILE GLOBAL STATISTICS CONCERNING USAGE OF THE TOOLBAR BY USERS (for example concerning the number of installations and unique users, the number of clicks which the Toolbar receives, the number of searches performed by users, etc.). Such statistical information will not include any personally identifiable information regarding users.

If you have any concerns or are confused by it, like I was with this second paragraph regarding information collection, this is the response from the AVG Team:

The privacy statement is just to cover all probable concerns especially with the US laws. Otherwise they can sue you for something you might not include. So it was made to cover a wide range.

Actually what it really does is prevalence (sending information to us about spread threats in the web.) This will help us to react faster and track origins of those threats so we can get those spreading sites down much quicker.

I can understand that this is confusing but it is a matter of laws and protecting ourselves against potential attacks by laywers.

Regards,
Vinzenz

(Taken from: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1252113)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 04:02:49 AM by kyo » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: