MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: Hacker Concern
November 17, 2019, 03:33:39 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2019, 03:33:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hacker Concern  (Read 1338 times)
kyo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2008, 01:04:44 AM »

Hi Everyone,

My little cousin came over to my house just yesterday and used my computer for web surfing. While they were on the internet they called me over from watching TV and pointed at the screen where I saw a little box had popped up in the middle of the opened google page, asking for a user name and password. I canceled and it took me to a page that said, "Authorization Denied, 404 error". I asked them what had happened, and they said they had clicked on a link they found in google, so I did a history check on the site they were trying to open, and it shocked me to find out that the site had been hacked into by a hacker. (The site's link name and google description had been changed to something inappropriate)

My main concern now is that because they had clicked the link that led to a page of the hacked website, what are the chances my machine will be compromised? I know that most websites have an IP tracker, and I'm afraid my computer is going to be in danger because it had linked to that page. Are there any precautions I can take to keep my computer safe, any signs that I should watch out for that would signal a breach?

Thank you all in advance!
kyo
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:35:16 AM by kyo » Logged
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »

I sure all is safe but just to make sure I will look inside....

Ok.We need to download ComboFix.exe. This will give a better view to the files running and also hidden on your computer.
Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running ComboFix

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you. Please copy and paste the "C:\ComboFix.txt" along with a new 'HijackThis' log so that we can continue to do any further cleaning that your system may require.

Caution: Never run and remove files with Combofix unless supervised by a qualified security analyst who is experienced in the use of Combofix. Mal use can cause serious computer problems

NOTE: Combofix prevents autorun of all CDs, floppies and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you - please let me know.

An Australian Member of

EDDY
kyo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 01:47:36 AM »

I had trouble installing ComboFix (I'm not very good with computers) so I ran what I had available on it. I Ran Spybot Search & Destroy, it came up with something called "Cydoor" that I deleted. I then ran Ad-Aware and it came out clean, then I ran AVG and it came out clean as well. So everything should be fine? They can't get into my computer with just an IP right?

Edit: * I couldn't get ComboFix working, but I do have an Ad-Aware log, I don't know if its the same thing?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:54:43 AM by kyo » Logged
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 02:07:49 AM »

Try this.Run it and let it do a scan.It will then produce a log you can copy and past here.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

An Australian Member of

EDDY
kyo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:10:05 AM »

My Spybot S&D Resident Shield is preventing ComboFix from executing. It is denying all the registry changes its attempting to make. Is it safe to just assume my machine is ok, since all the other programs came out with negatives for malware?

Or should I just post my Ad-Aware Log if that is going to be any help? My computer feels fine, I'm just taking some precautions, sorry for the trouble though I appreciate you taking the time to help me.   
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:31:16 AM by kyo » Logged
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 02:59:14 AM »

Ok.Leave it as it is.I'm sure its fine..

An Australian Member of

EDDY
kyo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 03:04:39 AM »

Thank you so much for your time and sorry for the hassle!
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 03:18:57 AM »

Its ok.No problem. Grin

An Australian Member of

EDDY
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: