MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: Virus problem - help appreciated
June 02, 2020, 07:56:26 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2020, 07:56:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Virus problem - help appreciated  (Read 929 times)
PoK3rJacK

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2008, 07:24:49 AM »

So to begin, I had Norton Internet Security 05, it got outdated, but the firewall still worked well. Then one day, it asked me to reactivate it. Well, whenver it asked me this the code would be right in there, I'd hit activate, and all would be well. Well, this time the code disappeared and I couldn't find it, so I couldn't activate so I lose any protection I had. Soooo, I went out and bought Norton 2008, since the old one was outdated anyway. I get home and find out my Service pack 1 isn't compatible. So, I go to Microsoft update, but the download would take me 15 hours with dial up. So instead I order the CD from Microsoft, which I'm still waiting for and should receive soon, then the other day I found the code for Norton 05 and got it working again (ill still be upgrading anyway)

Buttttt, I had no firewall or protection for a few days and did pick up some sort of virus. My desktop background changed to a pic saying "VIRUS HAS BEEN DETECTED, DOWNLOAD AN ANTI-VIRUS OR SPYWARE REMOVER" and then along with that, whenever I open IE, another browser window opens asking me to download some spyware remover BS. On top of all that, just today my computer would suddenly go to a new screen saying it's encountered an error and it's shutting down windows, then it goes to the page where windows is starting, but it saying it's starting WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL! which I DON'T even freakin have, I have XP HOME EDITION.

Anyway it's really pissing me off and it'll all be fine once I get service pack 3 and install Norton 08, but does anyone have any clue what the hell kind of virus this is? I've cleaned basically everything out but I can't find it :unsure:
PoK3rJacK

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:26:01 AM »

Oh, and when it goes to that whole starting XP Professional ****, I just hit spacebar on my keyboard and that all disappears and it goes back to my desktop lol.

It's really weird.
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:23:33 PM »

Please download HijackThis to your desktop..

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HJTInstall.exe
Alternate link
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/hijackthis/HJTInstall.exe

This program will help us determine if there are any spyware/malware on your computer. Double-click on the file you just downloaded.
Click on the "Unzip" button to install. It will by default install to the directory - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis

Upon install, HijackThis should open for you.

Should it not open, navigate to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis and double click on HijackThis.exe

================================================

Ok.Lets download ComboFix.exe. This will give me a better view to the files running and also hidden on your computer and also those in the registry..Please visit this webpage for downloading and instructions for running the tool:

Go here ======> A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix <====== Go here

Please ensure you read this guide carefully and install the Recovery Console first.This  applies to XP Pro and XP Home users only.If you have SP3 installed you will need to use SP2

The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

Once installed, you should get a prompt that says:

The Recovery Console was successfully installed.

Please continue as follows:

(1) Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
(2) Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.

Please include the following reports for further review, and so we may continue cleansing the system:

C:\ComboFix.txt
New HijackThis log.

Caution: Never run and remove files with Combofix unless supervised by a qualified security analyst who is experienced in the use of Combofix. Mal use can cause serious computer problems

NOTE: Combofix prevents autorun of all CDs, floppies and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you - please let me know.

An Australian Member of

EDDY
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: