MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Modem will not work after plugging in a router
May 22, 2019, 05:19:04 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2019, 05:19:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Modem will not work after plugging in a router  (Read 1492 times)
staceycote

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2008, 03:04:04 PM »

My parents have a speedtouch thomson modem and a trendnet router. Now before plugging in their router they had no problems with the modem. They wanted their second computer on the internet so my mom plugged in the router. She did not program or use the installation disk for the router. Just plugged it in. Everything was fine for a hour or so and then the modem just shut off. Now the only lights that come on the modem is the power and ethernet. The internet and dsl lights will not come on and they cannot connect to the internet. They called their internet provider support and they said there was nothing wrong on their end and sent my parents a new modem. They installed it and are still having the same problems. They soft booted the modem as the tech support instructed and restarted their computer and still nothing is working. There version of the OS is vista.
They unplugged the router as soon as the problems began and have not plugged it back in since. They tried to do a ipconfig release and renew and nothing would work still. I will put the addresses that came up when they did a ipconfig/all

IPV4 : 192.168.1.64
DNS : 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254

their IPV6 is a really weird number like 2001.0.c612.111.3018357b.3f57.febf

The model number for the modem is 516

Can anyone tell me if that looks like the correct configuration ? and possibly how to get the modem working again to connect to the internet? Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated Smiley
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 04:46:57 PM »

Most ISP modems need configured to a bridge mode once a router is to be set up. I cant see the setup working the very first time she plugged it in. What is her ISP? They should have told her how to configure the settings when she spoke with them.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: