MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: DVD drive wont recognize all of a sudden
August 19, 2019, 10:01:48 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2019, 10:01:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DVD drive wont recognize all of a sudden  (Read 2089 times)
jamieb

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2008, 01:16:48 AM »

Hi,
  Have a problem I was hoping someone knew a good answer to. 

I have a BENQ DVD Lightscribe Writer DW-1655 with a HP Pavillion 552W.  I run WinXP service pack 2.

I've had this drive running fine for over a year.  Installed a WD Mybook External Drive last weekend and hadn't used the BENQ drive since middle of last week.  I went to use it yesterday and it said there was no drive.  I opened the Device Manager  and saw the drive with a YELLOW marker next to it. 

The drive status says it
        Windows cannot start this hardware because its configuration info (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (CODE 19)

I have done some looking around the net and found several fixes for this but none work.

I have tried deleting the drive and rebooting.  This simply reloads the drive and the yellow marker.

I have tried the registry editing trick where you delete the UPPER and LOWER Filters for the drive.  Problem is, at that location there is no LOWER or UPPER filters.

I have went to Microsofts site where you can the autofix 314060.exe and went to run it but it says there is nothing to fix because the upper and lower filters aren't there.

I have tried 4 separate Registry fix programs from the internet and none touched it.

I've went to the BENQ website and downloaded a firmware checker but it says no drive is there.

I've unhooked the drive rebooted hooked it back up and rebooted again, nothing.

I have even went into the registry and deleted all references to the BENQ name and nothing.

Now, I don't know when exactly this occured.  The last time I used it was probably last thursday and then hooked up the external drive on saturday.  On sunday I ran software that came with the external drive but about an hour later I deleted the software because I did not need it.
Anyone have an idea what is going on.
Did the drive die on me?  Did the WD Mybook External drive knock out the CD drive?  I'm at a loss, if anyone had something similair please let me know, as I really can't figure out what to try next.

Thanks,
Jamie
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:18:41 AM by jamieb » Logged
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:10:42 PM »

Your particular problem, code 19 means a registry problem was detected and using those third party registry cleaners did not help. Stay away from those types of programs....if the following does not resolve your issue you may need to reinstall windows or at least try a Repair Install.

Code 19
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you can first try running a Troubleshooting Wizard. If that does not work, you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device. (Code 19)
Recommended resolutions

A registry problem was detected.

This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device, if there is a failure opening the service subkey, or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service subkey. Here are some things that you can try to resolve this problem.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager and scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:57:20 PM »

thanks for the reply.  Seems to be in a continuous loop of this issue.  Probably will have to reinstall windows.  Not a big deal as I keep all of my important files on a backup drive, however still a hassle.  Anyway, I appreciate your time in the matter.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 01:16:13 AM »

Your very welcome, good luck in what ever choice you make.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: