MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: IBM SATA problem
November 13, 2019, 11:19:35 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 11:19:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IBM SATA problem  (Read 1162 times)
gh_speedyg

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2008, 07:43:10 PM »

I have an IBM thinkcentre A51. I am running windows XP pro on an IDE hard drive but I would like to install a 500gig drive (formatted for NTFS) as a secondary drive. I have tried to install the sata drive and have had nothing but problems. I made sure that SATA is available in my BIOS, which it is, and the bios also detects the 500 gig drive. When I try to boot to windows (with the IDE drive as the master) it starts booting into windows, the windows logo comes up, then bluescreens. There is a lot of writing on the screen but I can't read any (it's only up for half a second). The computer then reboots and repeats the cycle forever. I also tried unplugging the drive, booting into windows and then plugging the drive in. Windows xp does not detect it (even running the find new hardware wizard). I have all of my xp updates and I tried flashing my BIOS from the IBM site. BIOS flash told me I was already up to date. I also found a firmware update for seagate drives on the IBM site, so I tried that, but the drive I have isn't on the list for updates when loaded.

Any ideas?
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 05:00:30 PM »

What is your configuration setup? Like what channel the drives are connected to SATA 1 SATA 2 .....so forth

As for your BSOD, disconnect the drive and boot into windows. Right Click My Computer/Properties/Advanced/System & Recovery-Settings tab
Under System Failure uncheck Automatically Restart. Now the system will halt oin the BSOD allowing you to right down the Stop error. Jot it down in here....

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 07:25:36 PM »

Tried everything I could think of, only drivers needing updated were my chipset drivers, updated, issue still there. Seagate's website says there are no additional drivers for my drive, XP drivers built in should work. I did notice that whenever I try plugging in my SATA drive, the BIOS changes the SATA drive to IDE0 and my IDE0 drive to IDE2. I find no way to move the sata drive to IDE1 or any other allocation. Drive still does not show up when plugged in while running windows and windows will still not boot with drive plugged in.  Somone else suggested that I may have the SATA drive set for RAID in my BIOS, however I can't find any options for raid in there.  All I have for hard drive options is disabling/enabling of PATA, SATA and native or automatic versions of SATA (I have auto set)

Here is a picture of my BSOD
gh_speedyg

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 07:34:21 PM »

HAHA!!  I noticed that the only thing I hadn't tried was changing the SATA from automatic to native.  Tried it and it worked!!  I must be some sort of idiot.  Anyways, thanks for all your help.

Much appreciated.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:42:43 AM »

Glad you got it sorted

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: