MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: CD-RW size???
December 11, 2019, 01:26:26 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2019, 01:26:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD-RW size???  (Read 1765 times)
t1000

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2003, 11:17:36 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:LG 52x24x52 CD-RW
Error Messages:

I have recently purchased a CD rewriter and when i came to fit it i realised that the slot inside the computer was the right size for it but that the opening on the front appears to be too small and would cover the eject button etc! Is there a way round this or do i have to get a different writer? Do they come in different sizes??

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 02:37:49 PM »

Hi,

All devices that fit into a 5 1/4" bay are the same size.

Some name brand system use a different face plate on the system case.
Are you installing this into a proprietary system (name brand e.g. Compaq, HP...)?
If so what make and model?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
t1000

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 03:06:11 PM »

My PC isn't branded as a friend of a friend is a programmer and basically got it before it reached hewlett packard(i.e. didn't get the name printed on it etc!) and programmed it from scratch so there woudn't be any unwanted ****e on there! The lower bay however is the standard 5 1/4" size but the gap left below my main cd rom drive on the faceplate is marginally over an inch high and the rewriter i have bought is 1.63"! What do i do? Can i change the faceplate? Can i cut a piece out of my existing one to accomodate? Or do i/can i get a different rewriter to fit?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2003, 03:59:17 PM »

Hi,

If I understand correctly, the old cdrom drive is the one with the larger face plate, right? Then buying a new CDRW would not help here since they are all the same size.

You can either replace the cdrom drive, they are fairly cheap; remove it (but you won't be able to burn CD to CD); or remove the face plate (prone to dust - not good!).

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 04:36:29 PM »

Well for the time being you mise well use what I use and that is a small tray appz that only controls the CD eject function.

found at http://www.web-thread.com/zip/cdeject.zip

you will probably forget about the button forever if that is your only hassle.

t1000

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 04:43:47 PM »

I don't thonk the old cd rom drive is bigger! It's just that the bottom of the gap in face plate comes up higher the the bottom of the slot for the rewriter inside the computer forming a lip which will cover some of the faceplate!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 04:53:50 PM »

Hi,

Is the old cdrom drive installed too low?

Sylvain Amyot

t1000

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2003, 07:30:35 PM »

i don't think its gonna fit but cheers for all the help anyway guys! One last thing? If i swap my old cd rom drive for my new cd rewriter and want to copy say another music cd or pc game will i be able to put it onto my computer and then burn it onto the blank CD from there???
cheers again

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 07:47:41 PM »

Hi,

I use Easy CD Creator which has a CD Copier program that will allow the source and destination to be the CDRW. It copies the contents of the CD to your TEMP folder on your hard drive and then prompts for the blank cd and burns from the temp file in the TEMP folder.

The only thing you have to make sure is that there is enough free space on your hard drive.

Sylvain Amyot

t1000

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2003, 08:33:15 PM »

thanks where do i get this program and how much is it?

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2003, 12:04:31 PM »

Download NERO 5.5.10.28 and it is free for about a month. Upgrades come every month and it's the most reliable.

Sorry Admin but NERO is better.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2003, 12:30:30 PM »

Hi,

I have heard many good things about Nero and would probably use it if my work didn't buy me EasyCD Creator which works fine for the limited amount of burning I do.

If you're going to burn audio CDs, go with Nero.

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: