MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Computer Related Discussions arrow Buying Advice arrow Topic: upgrading parts
April 20, 2019, 03:39:18 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2019, 03:39:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: upgrading parts  (Read 1626 times)
CrazyJo82

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:58:00 AM »

I'm hoping someone can just give me some pointers... I'm not looking into buying a brand new computer (although, I may be better off spending the money on it), I just want to upgrade some parts. Mostly the CPU and the memory.

I'm currently running an AMD Sempron 3000+ on a K8V-MX with 768MB (512 + 256). I might actually get Athlon 3700+ (max that it supports) off ebay and upgrading memory to 2GB with OCZ 2 1GB PC3200.

Now, my question is... (somewhat a newbie question) If I upgrade the processor by just change it, will I have any headache with
1) BIOS upgrade (it's using American Megatrands ver 1009.005 - I really have no idea on how to update BIOS)
2) XP will not be interrupted (I really dont want to reinstalled everything - knowing windows, if it's not the same config that it last remember, something funky happens)

And how much significant will I see in the speed of the computer?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Smiley

fade

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 02:01:58 PM »

BIO versions I found are K8V-MX BIOS 0112 2005/08/09 update, K8V-MX BIOS 0203 Support new CPU 2005/09/23 update, K8V-MX BIOS 0211 Add ECC items in BIOS SETUP Set low limit value of CPU fan to 800 rpm 2006/03/30 update,  K8V-MX Beta BIOS 0501 Latest beta BIOS 2006/12/15 update.

Athlon 64 3700+ needs 0112 or above which is the very first bios update.
Sempron 3000+ (rev.D) requires 0112 or above which is a good sign that 3700+ would work just fine!
As a bit of ref. Sempron 3400+ 64bit"(key word here is 64Bit)"(rev.E6) requires 0201 and above

You will see some improvement but I wouldnt say significant. 1.8 to 2.2 is a bit of a jump and the 3700 is a nice chip. But your still limited by the rest of the system. agp ect.

You wouldnt need to reinstall for this upgrade. Windows will just detect the changes. However XP cause of those changes might want you to activate your key again. May even lock you out from logging in as a user till you do at the start screen so you would need to be online on the Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port). Course you can telephone in the key and activate from that screen too.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: