MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: HP 530 Lost display and boot
November 18, 2019, 07:24:23 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 07:24:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HP 530 Lost display and boot  (Read 5240 times)
toothache

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:54:58 PM »

Okay you guys have helped me out in the past so here goes...

I have an HP 530 Laptop,18 months old,very well looked after,always maintained and working great until a few days ago. I was watching media on VLC player when the picture froze,then both sound and vision flickered continuesly. All i could do was unplug the mains and battery and restart. When i did the power and wireless light came on and the fan kicked in (tho now it doesn't) but no display or seemingly boot. After some advice this is what i've done so far.

I removed the ram including the extra ram i had in and did a static discharge by holding down power button for 45 seconds,then restarted with just the mains and then just the battery and i also hoovered out the fan through the grate (tho it was reletively clean as i've always done this periodically) but it's still the same,no monitor display or boot.

From a friend of a friend he thinks it could be a heat problem,either the cooler or heatsink may have become unseated or dislodged? I don't know about these things but with the Laptop now out of warranty i am stuck with wondering what i should do.

Any advice on what the problem could be and what is recommended i do would be most appreciated.

Thankyou in advance.

CCT

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »

Out of warranty means either fix it yourself or pay someone or sell 'as is' and buy another.

For fix it yourself, a disassembly guide is useful; do a Google for disassemble-ho-530-notebook (I am not allowed to post links)
toothache

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 04:32:57 AM »

Was that ridiculous response really nessesary?

CCT

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 06:19:20 PM »

'Was that ridiculous response really nessesary?'

I am not sure what offended you about the disassembly suggestion.

Given the symptoms described, that will likely be the only recourse.

However, it's your computer.

toothache

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 08:11:46 PM »

'Was that ridiculous response really nessesary?'

I am not sure what offended you about the disassembly suggestion.

Given the symptoms described, that will likely be the only recourse.

However, it's your computer.

It wasn't so much the dissembly thing,more the 'Out of warranty means either fix it yourself or pay someone or sell 'as is' and buy another.' I kinda knew that,as would anyone i would of thought and i'm not being ungrateful because i desperately need help with this but something so obvious was not really what i was expecting and kind of left me stumped as to why someone would respond like that.

Anyway, i have just been informed that maybe inserting the recovery disc could jump the laptop into life but i'm unsure of doing this as i don't want to cause anymore damage or even if this would work as there seems no boot. I don't know maybe it would cause it to boot? Any help cos i'm seconds away from slinging the damn thing out the nearest window. Again no help whatsoever from HP and from various repairers they've basically shook thier heads and told me 'no,there's nothing that can be done'. I just find this incredible to believe that laptops are being made with such a short life span and with such total incompetence in the workmanship. Just over a year and then throw your laptop away and start again,it just seems ridiculous that people are still buying them if this is the case,i mean who would buy them if that's how much use get out of them?

CCT

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 12:59:50 PM »

To start with, if you have stuff on there you value, removing the drive and slaving it into a desktop or putting it into an external-drive-casing should allow recovery.

Then, you could try the boot-from-Recovery CD step.

You may need to get into your Bios and set the cd/dvd as first boot device. Can you?

If not, it is more likely that a connection has loosened or something has failed.

toothache

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 02:34:45 PM »

No there's nothing really on the drive and what there is i have backed up. There doesn't seem any boot,hard to tell with no display really but i don't think so,so would the recovery disc even work? It was just an idea,as i'm out of all others.

Thanks

Ilovecroatia

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 03:19:24 PM »

Well my computer wont even start now, the fans will spin for a .5 second, the LEDs will start then shut off for about a half a second and then itll shut down again. So Im worried about that. Nothing detects my hard drive, BIOS,Windows, anything.

Is there any keyboard command to run the Operating System right off the disc? I have my xp 64 inside my computer and Im wondering how to get the computer to boot off the disc directly. That is, if I ever get my computer to begin running again.

*Link Removed*
toothache

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 06:59:20 PM »

I'm in the same boat as you,i don't know much about the hardware side of computers so all i can suggest is to post here and hope someone gives you some input. Good luck m8.

Got my laptop into repairers and it seems the motherboard has gone so it looks like goodnight laptop.

CCT

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 03:16:23 AM »

As a last suggestion, depending on how much risk you want to take re the money you want to sink into that, they do sell those motherboards on EBay - I would think HP would also have some spares.

Before I bought one and had someone install it though, I'd want to check out WHY they fail (and there are a fair number of internet mentions about failure).

HP and other companies have lemons (often) - it's why I advised my son to get a 3 year warranty on a Dell.

Good luck to you anyway.

toothache

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 07:41:18 PM »

I've got someone to fix it now. Had to send it away and im

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: