MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Turbo Boost Problem
November 18, 2019, 07:20:01 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 07:20:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Turbo Boost Problem  (Read 3723 times)
optojay

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2010, 06:53:58 AM »

I recently bought a Gateway FX6831-03 and Gateway support has been useless in resolving my issue.
I attached the CPUID text file if you want more information than the Gateway website.

Here's the problem:
The i7 860 is supposed to turbo boost to 3.46Ghz on single threaded applications (by increasing the multiplier from 21x to 26x). However, it will only turbo boost one step to 22x, limiting the speed to 2.93Ghz.
I have attached a picture showing prime95 loading only one thread and TMonitor showing the 22x multiplier maximum. The "turbo boost gadget" by intel is also in the photo and it also has never gone above 2.93Ghz.

What I've tried:
I have explored the BIOS for any settings to tweak, but the Gateway BIOS is severely limited. There are no settings to tweak CPU or RAM voltage or multipliers or "C-states", etc.
I thought of trying to flash a fully functional BIOS, but I fear I will "brick" the motherboard as I cannot seem to find any information on the mobo - other than it is an Intel H57.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I have another week to return the computer for a full refund, but it may be difficult to build one for the price I paid ($1799CAD).
If I knew the CPU was limited by the BIOS, I would have bought an i3-530 (DX4831) which runs at 2.93Ghz with hyperthreading for $700CAD!
fade

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 07:19:34 PM »

Gateway Turbo is locked to 22X. You will not go above 2.93. Do not flash the bios!! Actually we are lucky. Normaly when a Gateway first comes out you get no turbo boost at all. Over time they most likely will release a new bios that will allow further Turbo overclocking. I wasnt to happy about it either as they state in their add, and reviews state, it will turbo to 3.46 which of course it will not. But I do love this pc and 2.93 is nice mild OC, so I am just going to live with it. I do not regret my purchase.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:29:12 PM by fade » Logged
jb0nez

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:44:09 PM »

I bought this computer when it came out, and have been very very happy with it.
However, I'd really like to use the Turbo Boost! I've been waiting all this time for a new BIOS to come out and so far Gateway hasn't released one that I know of.

Has anyone got an update on this issue? Or anyone tried flashing another BIOS by any chance?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: