MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Windows 7 and new hard drive
November 12, 2019, 04:39:16 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 12, 2019, 04:39:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 7 and new hard drive  (Read 874 times)
jherback

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2010, 09:48:10 PM »

I am upgrading my laptop (inspiron 1720) with a 2nd hard drive (WD scorpio black 320gb, 80$, anyone confirm this as a good purchase and upgrade?) and am now looking at upgrading to windows 7 as well.  As far as I can tell I am more than capable of installing windows 7 myself, however my question concerns copying files between hard drives.  I intend on installing my 2nd hard drive, then installing windows 7 on to it before anything else. After installing windows 7, what is the best way to go about copying all of my files on to my new, more efficient hard drive, and cleaning off the old one to be used as additional storage? In order to copy all of my games and programs on to the new hard drive, does that require me to uninstall then re-install all of them. As well, does my plan sound accurate or am I missing steps here and there? Plan: buy hard drive 2 --> install hard drive 2 --> install windows 7 on hard drive 2 --> transfer all files over from hard drive 1 --> Clean off hard drive 1 --> enjoy my newly refurbished laptop. Apologies for the multitude of questions, answer some, none or all, any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
kristain

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 07:29:53 AM »

Inspiron 1720 is a good choice. If you are upgrading from the Windows XP to Windows 7 then you should reinstall all the applications. You should take backup of all the files or use migration tool. If you are upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7, there is not any requirement of taking the backup.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: